Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pressure washer maintenance

I've been given an Excell vertical shaft 6HP (2 gpm 2100psi) pressure
washer.

http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts...xwgv2121-parts

It doesn't look like it's had much use and no obvious abuse. It has an
unknown history.

Runs fine but dies 10 seconds after running washer, not much spray
pressure.

I know nothing about pressure washers. Oil in engine is fresh, have
not yet looked in pump.

How should I proceed? I have mechanical aptitude and am fearless but
don't want to get caught in a death spiral. What should I be looking at?
When do I shoot it?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts...ll-pressure-wa...

It doesn't look like it's had much use and no obvious abuse. It has an
unknown history.

* *Runs fine but dies 10 seconds after running washer, not much spray
pressure.

* *I know nothing about pressure washers. Oil in engine is fresh, have
not yet looked in pump.

* *How should I proceed? I have mechanical aptitude and am fearless but
don't want to get caught in a death spiral. What should I be looking at?
When do I shoot it?

* *Jeff

I'd suspoect the fuel system first. Small engines that sit often get
crud in the float bowl. First step is to remove the float bowl, clean
it out, and put it back.

There is also a pressure relief valve over on the pump side that
allows it to run when the trigger is not depressed. The easiest way
to see if that is a problem is to get someone to keep holding the
trigger down while you start it. If it runs as long as the trigger is
down then that relief valve could be a problem. The valves sometimes
get stuck when they sit as well.

If it keeps starting then dying after checking all this then I'd
remove, clean, and reassemble the carb. Check the passageways that
stick down into the bowl. A small piece of wire can be used to clean
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:15:04 -0400, Jeff Thies wrote:

I've been given an Excell vertical shaft 6HP (2 gpm 2100psi) pressure
washer.

http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts...cell-pressure-

washer-exwgv2121-parts

It doesn't look like it's had much use and no obvious abuse. It has an
unknown history.

Runs fine but dies 10 seconds after running washer, not much spray
pressure.

I know nothing about pressure washers. Oil in engine is fresh, have
not yet looked in pump.

How should I proceed? I have mechanical aptitude and am fearless but
don't want to get caught in a death spiral. What should I be looking at?
When do I shoot it?

Jeff

What dies, the motor or the pump?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I've been given an Excell vertical shaft 6HP (2 gpm 2100psi) pressure
washer.

http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts...xwgv2121-parts

It doesn't look like it's had much use and no obvious abuse. It has an
unknown history.

Runs fine but dies 10 seconds after running washer, not much spray
pressure.

I know nothing about pressure washers. Oil in engine is fresh, have not
yet looked in pump.

How should I proceed? I have mechanical aptitude and am fearless but
don't want to get caught in a death spiral. What should I be looking at?
When do I shoot it?

Jeff

99% of the time, it can be attributed to bad gas, or crud in the carburetor.
Drain and flush all gas, and replace with new. Take off the carb and clean,
or at least just take off the float bowl cup if it has one and rinse that.
Make sure the air cleaner is good. Make sure no spiders have made nests in
the fine channels in the carb.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 9:15*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've been given an Excell vertical shaft 6HP (2 gpm 2100psi) pressure
washer.

http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts...ll-pressure-wa...

It doesn't look like it's had much use and no obvious abuse. It has an
unknown history.

* *Runs fine but dies 10 seconds after running washer, not much spray
pressure.

* *I know nothing about pressure washers. Oil in engine is fresh, have
not yet looked in pump.

* *How should I proceed? I have mechanical aptitude and am fearless but
don't want to get caught in a death spiral. What should I be looking at?
When do I shoot it?

* *Jeff

The first thing I would do is disconnect the high pressure hose and
see if the engine keeps running with just the garden hose flowing thru
it. If it does, then the problem is more likely the pump mechanism or
a clogged nozzle or both.

If it still stops, remove the pump (which is easy) and see if the
engine runs continuously then. Again, if it does, then something is
wrong with the pump.

Now, if the motor still dies, it could be anything. Fuel supply would
be the first place to look.

Since you are mechanically fearless, this seems like a good project to
tear into. What have you got to lose?

Hank ~~~will tear anything apart

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2010 3:15 AM, Hank wrote:
On Aug 30, 9:15 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

This seems right to me. Except I'll flush out the carb first and
reoil the pump. I've never owned or used a pressure washer so this is
all new.

Got a zillion things on the agenda. I had little money and came into
a small inheritance (Mom died 3 years ago, my brother and myself took
care of her -in every way- and ran our money out). So there is a huge
pent up need. Getting something done with some money is a lot easier
than with none.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 3:15*am, Hank wrote:
[...]

Hank ~~~will tear anything apart- Hide quoted text -

Some of them have connectors that close when you remove the high
pressure line. You need to confirm it does not have that to know if
your test will be useful. That's why I suggested having a helper keep
holding the trigger down.