Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default Air Compressor Oil

On Aug 26, 5:37*pm, willshak wrote:
X-post to A.H.R and A.B.C.

I bought a new air compressor and received it today from HF. It's a
Central Pneumatic 2 HP, 8 gallon, 115 psi. It replaces a CH compressor
that went belly up.
My main use for a compressor is to fill up tires and pool floats, and
maybe blowing some dust around. I do have some air tools left here by my
deceased F-I-L (hammers, chisels, paint sprayers), but rarely use them,
other than for a framing nailer used to build a very small deck, or more
correctly, a small porch deck.
I discovered that it was not an oilless compressor. They put enough oil
in it to test it, but did not fill it, nor include any oil to fill it.
The oil fill viewer on the side is empty, but there are indications that
some oil was put in there. Before I even assembled the wheels and air
cleaner to it, I opened the valve and air came out under pressure.
I looked up compressor oil on the web and found some sites that say you
could use regular 30 weight motor oil instead of compressor oil, and
other sites saying you can use 10w30 motor oil, and even other sites
that say you can use synthetic motor oil. It appears that the only oils
not recommended are salad oil and baby oil. :-)
I have some 10w30 motor oil and some 10w30 Mobil1 handy. What oils have
you used without destroying the compressor?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If yor keep it where it will get cold the 10-30 mobil is best, a
friend bought a nice 2000$ unit that came with 10-30 synthetic.

Where to buy Compressor Oil, 30W ND John JJ Home Repair 21 July 24th 07 12:31 PM
Air Compressor Millan UK diy 23 June 19th 07 08:08 AM
What compressor to buy. [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 26th 07 06:17 PM
compressor help... Brian Woodworking 12 January 30th 06 09:20 PM
Air Compressor [email protected] Woodturning 19 January 13th 05 02:13 PM