Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet Tile in bathroom

Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

Any advice appreciated

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

Any advice appreciated

"not supposed to" is an understatement. People who put carpet in bathrooms
(and kitchens) are out of their minds and should be institutionalized
immediately.

Use self-stick vinyl "tiles" over the existing stuff. A friend of mine did
that 5 years ago and it still looks good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't even like the throw rugs everyone seems to have in their
bathrooms, and would not opt for carpet tiles in any case.

Men need to be taught to sit down when they pee, or the inevitable
stains from standing up will look nasty on the rugs, not to mention, be
unsanitary.

My personal preference for bathrooms is mosaic tile - easily scrubbed,
and we just throw a bath towel on the floor to step out onto after
bathing.

Okay - I know ... real men don't sit down.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J O E" wrote in message

I don't even like the throw rugs everyone seems to have in their
bathrooms, and would not opt for carpet tiles in any case.

Men need to be taught to sit down when they pee, or the inevitable
stains from standing up will look nasty on the rugs, not to mention, be
unsanitary.

My personal preference for bathrooms is mosaic tile - easily scrubbed,
and we just throw a bath towel on the floor to step out onto after
bathing.

Okay - I know ... real men don't sit down.

Joe

Real men learn how to aim by the time they're maybe 6 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Real men learn how to aim by the time they're maybe 6 years old."

It's not the aiming - I can write my name in the snow ... it's all that
shaking when yer done - Heh.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 2:45*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. *I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. *I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. *Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

Any advice appreciated

Use rugs for a bath you can take out and wash and dry, if its a rubber
backing thet doesnt breath you will get water throught the seams and
it will never dry , then the floor will mold, smell and rot. There are
bath rug sets I think, pre cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 3:25*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"J O E" wrote in ...

I don't even like the throw rugs everyone seems to have in their
bathrooms, and would not opt for carpet tiles in any case.

Men need to be taught to sit down when they pee, or the inevitable
stains from standing up will look nasty on the rugs, not to mention, be
unsanitary.

My personal preference for bathrooms is mosaic tile - easily scrubbed,
and we just throw a bath towel on the floor to step out onto after
bathing.

Okay - I know ... real men don't sit down.

Joe

Real men learn how to aim by the time they're maybe 6 years old.- Hide quoted text -

And learn to drink, not care and miss a bit later
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

I'd go instead with outdoor carpet in a solid sheet and cut outs where
needed (not hard to do with the right *sharp* razor cutting tools).

This won't peel up in patches and you can literally take it outside and hose
it off, scrub with a brush, whatever and let dry then bring it back in. It
will not be damaged by a damp atmosphere and will not damage the floor under
it. It also faster and easier to cut to fit, than sticking down the carpet
tiles and not ending up with edges that show. They have some rather nice
looking berber-ish types now. I'm looking at a tan and off white one for
our bathroom where a toilet and tub replacement don't match the old tiles so
edges show.

Same as you, don't want to spend much just right now and we already have a
sunroom with this exterior carpet past 3 years with no issues. It's just
rough laid down (cut to fit) and the edges don't curl up even in the one
corner that gets wet in a hard rain. We've taken it up and washed it off in
the yard 3 times now with no damage. Oh, and it cost less than the outdoor
carpet tiles would have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

Any advice appreciated

I've read all the replies to this time. When we moved into this house, (new
build 27 years ago), we were hard up for cash. I was aware of all the
cautions about using carpet in the bathroom but needs must. I put down an
offcut from our lounge that fitted fine after trimming.

We placed a "horseshoe" mat around the pan and also bath mat, etc. which are
shoved in the washing machine, normally weekly.

Having reared two male kids in the house who I hope have now flown the nest
permanently, (one came back for several years), I can confirm that there are
no stains or odours. The last time I lifted the carpet about 18 months ago
to repaint the skirting boards (sorry, I can't recall what you call these
that side of The Pond), it was in perfect condition and the floor below was
as laid.

I see no reason not to use carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 3:45*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. *I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. *I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. *Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

Any advice appreciated

Instead of tiles, have you considered a single piece, rubber backed
rug made for bathrooms?

My parents have one in their house - have for years.

I know this because every 5 or so years Mom buys a new one and I have
to cut it to fit.

I make a pattern from newspaper, flip it over, tape it to the rubber
backed side, trace it and cut.

Mom (actually Dad, when Mom tells him too) takes it out a couple of
times a year and washes it in one of those big machines at the
laundromat and hangs it in the backyard to dry.

If SWMBO would let me have one, I'd put one in my bathrooms. It's soft
and toasty on the feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:45:35 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor

Heck, get a roll of black and white "tile effect" vinyl from Home Depot
for 20 bucks and put that down. It'll look "OK", wear better than carpet
and last a few years until you can do something more permanent.

I did that for one of our bathrooms because it had carpet in there when
we moved in, and I'm planning on gutting that room when a few billion
other jobs are out of the way first...

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:45:35 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

We had W2W carpeting in the master bath in our previous house. When we ripped
it up after 15 years it wasn't too gross, likely because it was the master. It
was cleaner than the family room carpet, actually. I still wouldn't have it
again. Tile is too cheap and easy to put up with anything else.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

Our W2W carpet was indoor. I'd count in replacing it every couple of years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J O E" wrote

Okay - I know ... real men don't sit down.

Joe

I'm 62. Back when I was about 28 or so, I had the never ending fight about
leaving the seat up or down. I left it up so I wouldn't pee on it at night,
being the considerate human male that I am. My wife after falling in a few
times, assaulted me on the rights and wrongs of leaving it up versus putting
it down. It was an easy thing, I said, just check before you go, and it was
the responsibility of that person. Case closed.

Then, old age crept in ahead of time. I walked into the dark bathroom one
night, 2/3 asleep, and sat down on the throne that I had left the seat up
on. Well, that extra 8" of freefall is enough to wake you up, if not the
cold water spritz at the end. Hoo, boy, wide awake in 2/3 of a second.

I got it.

I never stand up now, as I would pee all over the place in the dark like a
blind dog. If I turned on the light, I would be blinded for two to three
minutes. I sit down when I go in the middle of the night, both because of
advancing age, poor eyesight, being sleepy from medications I take, and I
have this ritual of grabbing the sink in exactly the right spot that when I
do sit down, I hit the bullseye reasonably close.

Funny how one's attitude and a lifelong behavior can change in 2/3 of a
second.

She finally trained me to leave the lid down. Boy, I used to get some good
belly laughs when she fell in. She nearly went hysterical when I did it,
though.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Real men learn how to aim by the time they're maybe 6 years old.-

Yabbut, the bigger the hose the bigger the mess. And after a few beers, or
a few too many, aiming isn't anything high on the list of priorities.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

Any advice appreciated

Just take out the old tile and replace. Carpet is cheaper than tile?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 1:49*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

[...]

Thanks, amigo, to you and the others who suggested a solid sheet of
(outdoor)
carpet. Makes a LOT of sense! I will start looking for a remainder;
that Berber
does sound nice. I can't say much for my pattern-making ability, but
I have
a smart neighbor who would help me.

***NEW QUESTION:*** My sink is set into a Salvation Army vanity
table. Will it
disrupt the plumbing if I lift the 4 legs up just enuff to slide in
the carpet?
I'd rather do that than cut around each leg.

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Aug 25, 10:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 25, 1:49*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote

[...]

==

Some legs have adjustable screw in/out tips. If so, just screw them
in, put in the carpet and screw them out again.

==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 9:24*pm, Roy wrote:
On Aug 25, 10:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:49*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote

[...]

Alas, this is an antique, so doesn't have adjustable tips.

There are four legs in front -- two on each side -- and two plain ones
in back.

I was thinking to cut off an small equal amount from each leg --
enough to pass the carpet through -- and then try to shove in some
kind of metal or plastic base so they don't mar the carpet.

Is this too weird?
Alternative suggestion?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 10:35*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 25, 9:24*pm, Roy wrote:

On Aug 25, 10:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:49*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote

[...]

Do the legs screws into the sink at the top? Even in the "old days"
they were concerned about leveling things, so there may be some
adjustment in how the legs screw into the vanity.

I'd seriously *not* consider trying to cut a "small equal amount from
each leg". You see that word "equal"? Ain't gonna happen.

If you can't lift it enough to get the carpet underneath, you might
consider slitting the carpet so it fits *around* the legs. If it's got
any kind of "fluff" you should be able to hide the slit.

BTW...I suggested making a pattern, but I did not suggest outdoor
carpet. I suggested rubber backed carpet specifically made for
bathrooms.

http://tinyurl.com/bath-carpet

or

http://www.bedbathstore.com/watowaba..._term=2061-5x8

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 25, 9:24 pm, Roy wrote:
On Aug 25, 10:14 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:49 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote
[...]

Most feed and drain lines have enough play to just slide it under. Hard
part will be lifting and sliding at the same time. Might wanna loosen up
the slip nuts on the sink tailpiece while you do it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 8:14*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 25, 9:24 pm, Roy wrote:
On Aug 25, 10:14 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:49 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote
[...]

Yes. I tried to lift, but it wouldn't budge. So this option is a two-
person job. Am still concerned about breaking something.

Might wanna loosen up the slip nuts on the sink tailpiece while you
do it.

After researching , inter alia, http://www.ehow.com/
how_5581105_install-bathroom-sink-tailpiece.html
I now have a glimmer what a "tailpiece" is, thanks.

If I can find an easier way, I'd prefer, but glad to have the
knowledge just in case. Tx.

HB

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 9:24*pm, Roy wrote:

On Aug 25, 10:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:49*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote

[...]

There is no play. Legs are part of the body.

I'd seriously *not* consider trying to cut a "small equal amount from
each leg". You see that word "equal"? Ain't gonna happen.

Uh.... O....kayyyyy g

If you can't lift it enough to get the carpet underneath, you might
consider slitting the carpet so it fits *around* the legs. If it's got
any kind of "fluff" you should be able to hide the slit.

Yes, I was thinking of that, and went to a couple of Web sites. Some
of the blow-by-blow directions were exhausting just to read. Maybe my
smart neighbor can explain it in doofus terms. Unless you have a
simple blow-by-blow...?

On Aug 25, 9:24 pm, Roy wrote:

On Aug 25, 10:14 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:49 pm, "cshenk" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote

[...]

There is no play . The legs are part of the body.

I'd seriously *not* consider trying to cut a "small equal amount from
each leg". You see that word "equal"? Ain't gonna happen.

Uh.... O..kayyyyy g

If you can't lift it enough to get the carpet underneath,

May try with someone else to help. Not a one-person job.

you might consider slitting the carpet so it fits *around* the legs.
If it's got
any kind of "fluff" you should be able to hide the slit.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking, but I am so un-visual that I
can't visualize How To Do It. One of my neighbors can probably
explain,
I visited some sites that gave blow-by-blows that exhausted me just
to read them. Is there an easy site? Or do you have a blow-by-
blow..?

BTW...I suggested making a pattern, but I did not suggest outdoor
carpet. I suggested rubber backed carpet specifically made for
bathrooms.

http://tinyurl.com/bath-carpet

or

http://www.bedbathstore.com/watowaba...e=nextag&utm_m....

Thanks for clarification. Yes, the rubber-backed would be more easily
cut.

I visited the two belolw sites at your recommendation: Madison and
Mohawk. Both have attractive examples.
I do feel iffy about washing such a large piece (8 ' x 4') in a
machine. Too rough, even on lowest setting. I would probably take it
outside, hose it off, and use that large dryer in the sky. Do-able?

HB

http://tinyurl.com/bath-carpet

or

http://www.bedbathstore.com/watowaba...e=nextag&utm_m....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo
the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install
some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not
building for the ages g
just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. I would put sink and
toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is
swimming. Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will
indoor do it.

The right kind should work.

While on a foraging expedition after Hurricane Yikes, my son and I found
about 1000 sq ft of carpet tile behind a store. Evidently it got wet and the
store used this as an excuse to have insurance pay for new carpeting.

This industrial/commercial carpeting sells for over $35/yd. We dried it out
and used it to carpet the snack bar in the office and the library. Looks
swell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote
derbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks, amigo, to you and the others who suggested a solid sheet of
(outdoor)
carpet. Makes a LOT of sense! I will start looking for a remainder;
that Berber
does sound nice. I can't say much for my pattern-making ability, but
I have
a smart neighbor who would help me.

Welcome! That was me.

To handle the legs, it will still be faster to use solid carpet. You do NOT
want to cut them as you are making a temp fix. You put the carpet to the
other wall, then use a cutting knife as it is as flush as you can get to the
edges to make a half moon then you use scizzors to make the back cut and lay
it flat. Finish the back end of the half moon of the carpet.

You can also get flexible soft plastic discs to put around the legs (cut at
one end then put to the back so 'no-see it'.).

Keep in mind this isnt fancy but will look 'ok' for a time and not cost
much. That is what you asked for. People here tend to take a basic request
and turn it into a 20,000$ job very fast. It's also true some *need* that
20,000$ job and are asking for a 500$ solultion. Yours is simple. Don't
muck up your washing machine with this rug. Just take it out (as needed)
and hose it off if you use the true outdoor type.

Square glue down tiles of carpet 'sound' easy but actually are not. You'll
have the same parts to cut out around, have something that you can't take
outside and hose off, and you may find in time they glue so hard you cant
even them up nor can you rip them off without breaking the underlaying
tiles.

I've done both and it takes more skill to get those little squares to look
right unless you do shag which is a very *bad* idea for a semi-permanent
bathroom flooring that can't be hosed off.
Carol