Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default blowing out a water line

i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to blow
the water out
thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:54:48 -0400, cj wrote:

i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to blow
the water out
thanks, cj

Where does the line run? Does it travel down where it taps into a supply?
Does it have an inside shut off valve? I have a basement and a wash tub
down there. If I want to drain my outdoor spigot I shut the water main
off, open the outdoor spigot and open the cold water on the washtub.
Gravity drains the line to the outdoor spigot as it runs out the washtub
faucet. Then I would shut off the inside shut of valve to the outside
spigot. That will prevent the outside spigot and the small portion of
line running through the wall from refilling. Give that a try if you have
a similar situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 11:54*am, cj wrote:
i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to blow
the water out
thanks, cj

If you put a small ball valve in front of it you can use a regular
male compressed air end. They normally use pipe thread so it's easy
to use on plumbing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RtW RtW is offline

I had an air compressor near the area in my basement where I had my plumbing
inlet, filters, softener and pressure regulator. The line for my garden
sprinkler system and outside hose connections began right before the
pressure regulator, so blowing out the lines for winter was a snap.

Install a tee fitting in the line to the outside plumbing with ball valves
on the supply and air side of the Tee. That way, you can isolate the
house/supply from the compressed air, as well as the connection to the air
compressor. On the side ball valve where you would connect the air, install
a male air fitting that matches the female on your air hose.

To use, connect the air hose to the male fitting, close the supply ball
valve and open the ball valve connected to the compressed air. Cycle any
zone valves several times and open the sill cocks until you get mostly air.
This might take several attempts to clear the lines of most moisture.

"cj" wrote in message
i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and would
like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of connection
should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to blow the water out
thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 24, 11:13*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Aug 24, 11:54*am, cj wrote:

i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to blow
the water out
thanks, cj

If you put a small ball valve in front of it you can use a regular
male compressed air end. *They normally use pipe thread so it's easy
to use on plumbing.

Excellent idea. I would also add use a brass spud so rust doesn't
become a problem.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

To state the obvious. To blow water out of a line, there has to be a
way for the water to get out of the ohter end -- preferably a full
flow, open pipe. I don't know if PVC unions are made. But, it would be
wise to find a way to completely unhook the pipe from everything else.
So you can get a serious flow of air through.

Second. I belive it's good to have as much air flow, in as rapid a
manner as possible. So, whatever adaptor connects to the air
compressor should have a full flow, quarter turn valve. Run the
compressor till the switch shuts it off. Connect onto the line, open
the quarter turn valve, and give it the best pressure and flow you
can.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"cj" wrote in message
i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to
blow
the water out
thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"cj" wrote in message

i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to
blow
the water out
thanks, cj

As was already suggested, for a hose outlet there are usually better
solutions than having to use an air compressor.
In many cases you can use a freeze-proof sill cock so that you don't
have to drain it at all. Or make sure it's pitched back into the
basement and install a shut-off valve that has a built-in drain. You
shut off the valve and then open the small drain cap.

If you have to blow it out, attaching a male air fitting to a ball
valve makes an easy permanent attachment. Shouldn't need to
disconnect anything, just open the hose bib all the way. With the
compressor at about 30psi, just open the valve and let her blow!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 10:54 am, cj wrote:
i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to blow
the water out
thanks, cj

Andy comments:
Go to an RV outlet. They sell a male hose fitting that has a
Shrader valve on it. You screw it onto a female hose fitting
on the water line, and hook an air compressor to the Shrader
valve. It is an adapter used to blow out the water lines on
large RVs but will work on any hose line..... If you keep the
pressure around 30 psi or so, and slowly open one spigot
after another, you will clear out all the water...

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Andy wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:54 am, cj wrote:
i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and
would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of
connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the pvc to blow
the water out
thanks, cj

Andy comments:
Go to an RV outlet. They sell a male hose fitting that has a
Shrader valve on it. You screw it onto a female hose fitting
on the water line, and hook an air compressor to the Shrader
valve. It is an adapter used to blow out the water lines on
large RVs but will work on any hose line..... If you keep the
pressure around 30 psi or so, and slowly open one spigot
after another, you will clear out all the water...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

thanks andy, thats the fitting i'm looking for
cj