Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blowing out water lines with compressed air

http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"in2dadark" wrote in message

Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female.

Just go to the hardware store and tell the guy working there you need to
convert your male part into a female part. He will know what you are talking
about. They get these types of questions all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 4:16*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:34:22 -0700 (PDT), in2dadark

wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.

Washing machine hose is the quick answer but I imagine you can find a
F/F hose adapter

Ahh... Very good.. I didn't think of that. At the time of leaving I
won't be using it anyway. I'm hoping to get a more sturdy blowout
connector. The one in the pic looks a little fraigile compared to some
of the others I've seen. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 12:34*pm, in2dadark wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

I just cut about 3 feet off the end of an old garden hose, with the
female connector intact. Used a hose clamp to attach a male air hose
quick-disconnect to the cut-off end of the hose. Pop that into the end
of the hose from your compressor, and you're good to go.

One piece of advice - make SURE you turn off the breaker to your water
heater BEFORE you blow out your water lines, unless you like replacing
both elements. DAMHIKT.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 5:31*pm, JerryM wrote:
[...]

Even better.. I wish I had an old garden hose laying around. I guess
I have all summer to eyeball other people's trash. I always shut off
and drain the water heater .. thanks. And I drain the verticle
lines in the house with no problem.. The only area I have had problems
with is the horizontal lines along my basement ceiling.

In the past I had used an old air mattress inflator to get 'just
enough' water out of there. It worked one year. But last year I
forgot the inflator at my other place. And I ended up with a break
that I slapped some gator bites on. Luckily the water was turned off
when it broke and it was in an easy to get to spot..

This year, I want to do it right, so I'm using a compressor. What
pressure should I set it at? I'm seeing specs of 50-80 for an RV. So
I'm guessing 65 will be ok for my house...?

I have a oustide hose spigot that is one floor (+/-) higher than
another one and they are at opposite ends of the house. So I've been
blowing it out through the high one and out the lower one. I leave
them open when I'm gone hoping any water that's left will have a
place to move to when it freezes..

Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

I soldered in two quarter turn valves with a blowout fitting on one to
the inside of where I wanted to blow out the water.

Water quarter turn valve without fitting short lenth of tubing
quarter turn valve with fitting.

I shut off the first valve, then unscrew the fitting on e the second. I
just stick an air line with a rubber tip into the opening and let it
rip. No water left in the lines downstream.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.

You'll find a double female 'gender changer' at any decent hardware store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.

I use a shop vac for clearing AC drain lines
and I wonder how it would work for emptying
potable water lines? Here in the South East
we never really think of draining the water
lines unless a house is being closed up for
a very long period of time. Pipes don't
freeze up around here unless the temps drop
into the low teens for several days. That's
something that doesn't happen often.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.

Most hardware stores sell the brass adaptors, or use a wash machine
hose on the end of your regular hose. �Often you can get a used washer
hose at an appliance store for free or a buck, since they just toss
them. Never hurts to ask.

or remove a hose from a neighbors washer at the curb on trash day
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 6:51*pm, in2dadark wrote:

This year, I want to do it right, so I'm using a *compressor. What
pressure should I set it at? *I'm seeing specs of 50-80 for an RV. So
I'm guessing 65 will be ok for my house...?

I have a oustide hose spigot that is one floor (+/-) higher than
another one and they are at opposite ends of the house. So I've been
blowing it out through the high *one and out the lower one. *I leave
them open when I'm gone *hoping any water *that's left will have a
place to move to when it freezes.

The first time we winterized after buying the place, paid a plumber
$25 to do it and followed him around. IIRC, he said to set the
compressor around 70.

Blowing it out from high to low sounds like a good idea.

The other thing the plumber did, that I thought was a good idea, was
to pour a cup or 2 of RV antifreeze down all the plumbing drains, and
into the toilet tanks and bowls. Didn't see you mention that anywhere.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"in2dadark" wrote in message
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

If that is a tire valve type connection for the compressor, it wan't handle much
volume. Just sticking the air nozzle into a short hose chunk would work much
better. A standard push button air nozzle will limit it also. If have one, a
sandblaster nozzle will work better, or just plumb a ball valve onto a length of
hose with a garden hose female end and a compressor male air hose fitting on the
other end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"in2dadark" wrote in message

http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Ah..there we go..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 10:21*am, JerryM wrote:
[...]

Yea I use RV antifreeze for the drain traps in all of the fixtures.
I use a gallon for each toilet and half for the sinks and shower
fixtures. I forget where I read that to use that amount. But if anyone
can confirm I'm overdoing it let me know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 11:02*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
in2dadark wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.

I use a shop vac for clearing AC drain lines
and I wonder how it would work for emptying
potable water lines? Here in the South East
we never really think of draining the water
lines unless a house is being closed up for
a very long period of time. Pipes don't
freeze up around here unless the temps drop
into the low teens for several days. That's
something that doesn't happen often.

TDD

I have a little place in S. Florida that I refer to 'my office that I
sleep in' as I mostly work from home when I'm down there. I'm glad not
to have these issues there. I just close the accordian shutters and
I'm gone. Not much to worry about there. We've had a pretty good
freeze this last winter. But it didn't affect any pipes or anything.
In 20 years haven't had any freezing problems..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 2:34*pm, in2dadark wrote:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...10nUPDATE.jpg?

I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation
home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting.
Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are
there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy
that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?

Thanks.

Easier and what I do in 2 minutes in a place I let freeze to -15f is
have a ball valve at the lowest point in the basement to drain pipes,
I just open all faucets and use antifreeze in toilet and traps. Air is
to much work. I can be winterized in 5 minutes. My basement never
freezes even without heat all winter so the main, washer and tanks are
ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I also do the dishwasher. Before you call me on that one..) .. That
is a PITA. And the washing machine. That's easy, no tearing it apart.
Just run some antifreeze in it during a pumping cycle and done.
Hardest is the dishwasher. Got to drain it and drain that one valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
in2dadark wrote:
[...]

I would imagine that good plumbing design and installation
considers draining a system in the colder climates. I don't
know but I would think, after all these years, there would
be plumbing codes that required the installation of fixtures
to allow draining the potable water lines.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 4:52*pm, in2dadark wrote:

I also do the dishwasher. Before you call me on that one..) .. That
is a PITA. And the washing machine. That's easy, no tearing it apart.
Just run some antifreeze in it during a pumping cycle and done.
Hardest is the dishwasher. Got to drain it and drain that one valve.

No dishwasher or laundry in my place in Flagstaff. I split one gallon
of RV antifreeze between 1 kitchen sink, 2 bathroom sinks, 2 toilets,
and a bathtub - no freezing problems in 8 years. Just put a couple of
glugs down each drain and in the toilet bowls and tanks.

My biggest winterizing problem, not much I can do about it, has been
the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. The thermostat in a
fridge is designed to keep the temperature in the fridge compartment
at the setpoint, typically 37 degrees or so. So when the inside
temperature of my cabin drops below that point, the compressor hardly
ever runs, and the temperature in the freezer climbs, letting
whatever's in there thaw out. So in the wintertime we don't leave much
but ice cube trays in the freezer. Took me a while to figure that one
out - I thought the fridge was bad.

Any of you out there that are refrigeration repairmen (I'm thinking of
you, Stormin) feel free to correct me if I'm horribly misinformed.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 8:32*pm, JerryM wrote:
[...]

Yea.. I just empty mine out, shut them off and leave the doors open.
It's a pain restocking things anew but there's a downside to
everything. I've even read something about ink in printers freezing..?
Guess I'll have to take the cartridges with me as I just got one for
this place.

I'd also like to have another car as a change of pace but doesn't
make sense to leave one sit for 6 months or to haul 2 back and forth.
There's a lot of things you CAN'T do when you split your time, I've
learned. But it's still worth it. I've also learned to take vehicle
titles with me just in case I decide to trade up. I now want to sell
my motorbike and realize I don't have the title with me. I guess if I
find a buyer, I'll have to pay Florida to send me another copy.

Got off track here..But to continue ..even if I were married in my
current situation I'd want to keep just one car for the two of us.
What do you all do.., if there's multiple drivers and you split your
time. Do you lug 2 cars around..? I see the car carriers in my
travels, but I don't remember if I've inquired as to the cost. I think
I saw something to the tune of 900 for 1200 miles..? But I may be way
off..

air in new pex water lines Gary Home Repair 9 March 20th 09 07:31 PM
water blowing under garage doors suggestions please Ian & Hilda Dedic UK diy 16 March 18th 08 10:37 AM
Air in Water Lines? Leo Home Repair 10 August 5th 05 02:45 AM
Compressed air lines Groggy Woodworking 54 January 8th 05 04:51 AM
water leaking into gas lines meirman Home Repair 11 October 28th 04 02:22 AM