Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to attach a stud wall to concrete blocks

I have a concrete block wall and on the inside of it I want to layer in a
2x4 wood studded wall. What is the best way to attach the bottom plate and
studs to the block wall?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a concrete block wall and on the inside of it I want to layer in a
2x4 wood studded wall. What is the best way to attach the bottom plate
and studs to the block wall?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Use a Ram-Set for the bottom plate, use nails into the joists for the top,
nothing is needed into the block.

Alternative is to use something like www.insofast.com and no studs at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 3:42*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a concrete block wall and on the inside of it I want to layer in a
2x4 wood studded wall. *What is the best way to attach the bottom plate and
studs to the block wall?

Thanks in advance,

MC

It's been over 30 years since I did mine, but I don't think I made any
wood to block or concrete attachments.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Alternative is to use something like www.insofast.com and no studs at all.

Dang, thanks for that link, Ed. I think I'll try that stuff in my garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 2:42 AM, MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a concrete block wall and on the inside of it I want to layer in a
2x4 wood studded wall. What is the best way to attach the bottom plate and
studs to the block wall?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Well the bottom plate will attach to the floor via glue or powder
actuated nailer. No need to attach the studs to the block wall. What
is the top attaching to?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

The top will "float". There is nothing resting on the concrete interior
wall from the roof truss, it is a wall between the garage and the rest of
the house, the only reason it was made of concrete block was probably for
fire code back in the 70s.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
news
On 8/24/2010 2:42 AM, MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a concrete block wall and on the inside of it I want to layer in a
2x4 wood studded wall. What is the best way to attach the bottom plate
and
studs to the block wall?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Well the bottom plate will attach to the floor via glue or powder actuated
nailer. No need to attach the studs to the block wall. What is the top
attaching to?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
The top will "float". There is nothing resting on the concrete interior
wall from the roof truss, it is a wall between the garage and the rest of
the house, the only reason it was made of concrete block was probably for
fire code back in the 70s.

After the wall is framed up, cut a few sections of 2x4 to fit between
the studs. Lay them flat against the block wall, glue and screw (tapcon)
to the block, and then nail the wall studs to them. Do this at each end
of the wall and as many times as you feel necessary in between.