Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temporarily attach plywood to concrete wall?

I need to install a new basement door at my in-laws house, which will
require new concrete to be poured under the door sill. The original
foundation was notched out lower, then someone later poured a slab outside,
so the opening under the door is a real mess.

My plan is to take down the current stairs, and attach a 2'x4' piece of
plywood to the existing concrete wall as a form so I can pour in more
concrete. Shouldn't take more than 4-6 bags of concrete. I'm planning on
drilling into each side of the opening and adding a few pieces of rebar to
tie everything together.

However, I'm wondering what the best and easiest way to attach the plywood
form to the existing foundation would be. I was planning on drilling holes
and using masonry anchor bolts, but I don't really want the bolts to be
permanent. I've never used Tapcon screws before. Would they be strong
enough to hold the pressure of the concrete, and are they removeable once
installed?

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

[...]

You want to use insert anchors (drill hole, insert anchor, set with
hammer and setting tool), which will give you threaded holes to bolt the
plywood to. Make sure when you set them you set them a bit deeper then
the surface of the concrete and then when complete you can patch over
them with mortar / concrete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

[...]

One way to do this with the least hassle and less money is
this method:

Drill a 1/4" hole through a 2x4 every 12" or so, the same
heighth as your side form. Place the 2x4 against the wall so
that your plywood form can be nailed to it to form the side.
With a masonry bit and a hammer drill, drill a hole into
the concrete through the top hole in the 2x4. Drive 2 16
penny common nails through the hole into the concrete. Repeat
through every hole in the 2x4. Attach your plywood form to
the 2x4. (You can attach the side form to the 2x4 first if
you wish, but sometimes that makes it more difficult to level
the form.

When removing, pry the 2x4 and side form off the wall as a
unit. The nails usually pull through the 2x and will have to
be removed from the wall. You will probably not believe how
well this works. I usually break the nails trying to pull
them out. Try it first, if you don't believe me.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert your method works quite well, but I have changed to using a
Topcon lead bit (because I own them), sliding in a piece of #12
copper with the insulation left on ( I cut up a bunch them and
keep them in the hammer drill box), drive in a 16d duplex or screw
in a drywall/deck screw. You'll need a 3 or 4 foot crowbar to
pull the nails.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .