Default Attach plywood from the inside (is it possible) ?

I have to remove some termite damaged studs and plate. I'd like to
keep the plywood in place (it's only about 3 studs) because there is a
brick veneer on the outside and the sheathing is not accessible. Can I
just install the new studs and try to install some screws from the
inside? The screws will go from the inside of the house out through
the sheathing in order to try to pull the sheathing up close to the
studs? Or maybe use some type of L-bracket against the sides of the
stud to pull the sheetrock in close? Thanks for any advice.

I wonder if there might be a glue / adhesive / epoxy that has tested
structural values ?
I've seen a foam glue marketed as reinforcement for roofs in high wind
areas.
TB

Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to remove some termite damaged studs and plate. I'd like to
keep the plywood in place (it's only about 3 studs) because there is a
brick veneer on the outside and the sheathing is not accessible. Can I
just install the new studs and try to install some screws from the
inside? The screws will go from the inside of the house out through
the sheathing in order to try to pull the sheathing up close to the
studs? Or maybe use some type of L-bracket against the sides of the
stud to pull the sheetrock in close? Thanks for any advice.

If it is only 3-4 studs I would not be too concerned about it.

If you like use one by 1 x 1 wall angles secured to the back side of the
stud first (on the 3.5" plane) and then use a screw long enough to pull the
board against the stud. Of course you will need to use some type of clipper
to flush cut and nails that remain in the plywood flush to the surface.

You may also find that that termites munched on the plywood once you start
the removal process and there is nothing that will hold a screw.

Anticipating your next question one angle and screw per foot of height would
be about the maximum in time and materials that I would invest in the
project.

Colbyt

Pop

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to remove some termite damaged studs and plate.
I'd like to
keep the plywood in place (it's only about 3 studs)
because there is a
brick veneer on the outside and the sheathing is not
accessible. Can I
just install the new studs and try to install some
screws from the
inside? The screws will go from the inside of the
house out through
the sheathing in order to try to pull the sheathing
up close to the
studs? Or maybe use some type of L-bracket against
the sides of the
stud to pull the sheetrock in close? Thanks for any
advice.

Try a few 18" or so long studs carefully toenailed onto
the sheathing and sistered to the new studs. They can
work as "handles" to pull in the ply and attach it to
the studs.

Just my 2 cents

SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to remove some termite damaged studs and plate. I'd like to
keep the plywood in place (it's only about 3 studs) because there is a
brick veneer on the outside and the sheathing is not accessible. Can I
just install the new studs and try to install some screws from the
inside? The screws will go from the inside of the house out through
the sheathing in order to try to pull the sheathing up close to the
studs? Or maybe use some type of L-bracket against the sides of the
stud to pull the sheetrock in close? Thanks for any advice.

Is this a bearing wall? Contact someone locally to look at the project.

Impossible to give good information when all of the factors can not be seen.

DanG

I think I would rely on structural adhesive, PL400 joist type
adhesive, as the primary repair. Use some utility angle available
at a commercial drywall store attached on each side of the new
stud with drywall screws, apply adhesive, install, draw up tight
to sheathing with drywall screws through the other flange.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to remove some termite damaged studs and plate. I'd like
keep the plywood in place (it's only about 3 studs) because
there is a
brick veneer on the outside and the sheathing is not accessible.
Can I
just install the new studs and try to install some screws from
the
inside? The screws will go from the inside of the house out
through
the sheathing in order to try to pull the sheathing up close to
the
studs? Or maybe use some type of L-bracket against the sides of
the
stud to pull the sheetrock in close? Thanks for any advice.

What does this being a load bearing wall have to do with anything?
Would you attach the sheathing different if it is a load bearing wall
vs not? I'm not asking about how to shore up the house while the work
is being done.

Are you referring to a 90 degree metal bracket? Attach one side of the
bracket into the side of the stud and attach the other side to the
plywood?

I have a brick veneer on the outside so I don't think I need to worry
about cutting the nails that go through the plywood. If I understood
you correctly.

Termites "generally" don't eat plywood if enough other stuff is
available. But they will ocassionaly. Sometimes even eat preasure
treated. The sheathing looks okay. The termite damage is from about
20 years ago when the previous owner dumped wood chips up against the
house. Most of the "muching" was done on the back of the sheetrock.
Bottom 2x4 on the plate is toast.

Colbyt

Answered inline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are you referring to a 90 degree metal bracket? Attach one side of the
bracket into the side of the stud and attach the other side to the
plywood?

Yes just your common 90 degree wall angle. After reading Robert's post I
think I would add a bead of construction adhesive along the back side of the
stud. As I said I have never bothered for one or two studs but Robert A
probably has a lot more experience with this type of thing than I do.

I have a brick veneer on the outside so I don't think I need to worry
about cutting the nails that go through the plywood. If I understood
you correctly.

I am refering to the nails that secured the plywood to the old studs. They
may or may not pull out when you remove the studs. If they don't you are
going to need to clip them off. There is usually only about a half inch
between the plywood and brick veneer.

Colbyt