Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advise on buying a drill press.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:20:07 -0700, "RES"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:05:34 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Mat wrote:
$69 http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed...ess-38119.html

good reviews. Have one like it for 30+ years no problems

Now only $49.00.

I, too, have one - no complaints.

As for quality, what could go wrong with a drill press?

Lots. The chuck kept falling off mine untill I put it on with
"permanent" Lock-tite.
It's a cheap nasty peice of Chinese trash and the only thing it will
drill a half-inch hole in is basswood or lead.

My own floor drill press came with the quill on a Morse taper shaft, but no
facility for a draw bolt. Like yours, the quill would occasionally drop
out. I remedied that by giving the female and male parts a squirt of brake
cleaner to remove the shipping oil and any dust. When reinserted and given
a tap, they never came out accidentally again, though inserting the wedge
and tapping freed them when desired.

Nonny

I cleaned mine, i lapped it, I tapped it - nothing hepled - because
the accuracy of manufacturing was so bad the tapers didn't match
properly. It was after attempting to lap it with fine abrasive that I
found the total actual contact area on the taper was something less
than 25% - so I "glued" it on, figuring if it worked, good. If not,
it was into the bin. If I was using it more, it would be in the bin
and an old american or european press would be rescued and take it's
place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:20:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"harry" wrote
The Chinese invented nothing. They have stolen Western technology for
the one purpose of destroying the West. They are succeeding where
military force or the threat of it has failed.
Greedy capitalists aid them by exporting jobs. Your society is
doomed. And probably ours.

I heard on the radio this morning. 90% of all engineers graduating these
days are in China. Not a question of if they will surpass us, but when.

90% of the engineers graduating from the University of Waterloo seem
to be Chinese too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-18, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I heard on the radio this morning. 90% of all engineers graduating these
days are in China. Not a question of if they will surpass us, but when.

They're gonna hafta do something drastic, then. I worked in hi-tech
for a couple decades with techs and engineers from all over the World.
I wasn't too impressed with my Chinese cow orkers. They pick things
up fast and have an amazing capacity to remember and use what they've
learned, but seemed rather limited when it comes to critical thinking,
IOW, they are brilliant at utilizing existing knowledge, but aren't
all that when it comes to adding to the base.

Very little engineering "adds anything to the base". That's why it's called
"engineering", instead of "science".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2010 1:45 AM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Aug 16, 9:55 pm, wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
I took on a job to cut some 5/16” precision holes in stainless steel
pipe. I never had to be this precise so I never needed a drill press
before but now I do. I did all the research and understand all that I
need except for one thing. I don’t know what HP drill press to get. I
won’t be in any hurry to make the holes and I won’t have to make more
than a few of them so I don’t think the HP of the drill press matters
but I’m not sure. Can anyone give me some advise on what size HP to
look for to do what I want? Thank you.

I'd submit there's probably more to this choice than HP...

a) What's the definition of "precise"?

b) What's the particular SS alloy?

If you're really talking precision, milling machine may be more apropos
than simply a press...

--

It’s 1 ½” stainless steel plumbing pipe. I will need to tap threads to
the holes that I cut.

I cut some 1/2" holes in 1" copper pipe a while back. Your steel will be
much harder to drill through but the technique is similar. This had to
be very close as it was to be silver soldered.

What worked very well was a step bit. It centered well and didn't
wander like using a regular bit in a pilot hole did. Your problem, as
mine was, is not the power to cut the hole, it's the ability to keep the
bit true. The step bit made this a snap.

Jeff