Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher power gone???

I have a Kenmore Elite DW and today is has no power. I checked the
breaker for its dedicated circuit and it was not tripped. I reset it
anyway. There were no other breakers tripped.

I thought before I start digging into this I might ask here if anyone
knows where on this machine I should start looking? The manual that
came with it is uselesss.

Ideas please? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:23:37 -0400, bobmct
wrote:

I have a Kenmore Elite DW and today is has no power. I checked the
breaker for its dedicated circuit and it was not tripped. I reset it
anyway. There were no other breakers tripped.

I thought before I start digging into this I might ask here if anyone
knows where on this machine I should start looking? The manual that
came with it is uselesss.

Ideas please? Thanks

GFCI? Check -- reset it....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bobmct" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore Elite DW and today is has no power. I checked the
breaker for its dedicated circuit and it was not tripped. I reset it
anyway. There were no other breakers tripped.

I thought before I start digging into this I might ask here if anyone
knows where on this machine I should start looking? The manual that
came with it is uselesss.

Ideas please? Thanks

The first thing to check, is if there is a switch on the counter or in the
sink base cabinet, that controls the DW. It's also possible that it is
plugged into an outlet in the sink base cabinet. If none of the above,
you'll need to remove the access panel at the front, bottom of the machine,
remove the junction box cover located inside, and check for power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Kenmore Elite DW and today is has no power. I checked the
breaker for its dedicated circuit and it was not tripped. I reset it
anyway. There were no other breakers tripped.

I thought before I start digging into this I might ask here if anyone
knows where on this machine I should start looking? The manual that
came with it is uselesss.

Ideas please? Thanks

GFCI? Check -- reset it....

Switch in the kitchen that apparently does nothing? We have one of those,
next to the disposer switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have a Kenmore Elite DW and today is has no power.

Not even when you manually cycle the machine, stopping at different
parts of the cycle?

I checked the
breaker for its dedicated circuit and it was not tripped. I reset it
anyway. There were no other breakers tripped.

I thought before I start digging into this I might ask here if anyone
knows where on this machine I should start looking? The manual that
came with it is uselesss.

It's an operation manual, not a service manual.

Ideas please? Thanks

Whether your machine is hard-wired to the electricity or maybe plugged
in, find the place where it connects to the power and check with a
meter if there 110 volts or so coming from the wall. If not, you
still have an electric supply problem, a failed circuit breaker maybe
(not very likely) or you are mixed up and measuring the votage from
the dishwasher, not the voltage from the fuse box.

If Yes, leave the DW unplugged or undo the wire nuts and disconnect
the wires from the power wires, and then, with the dw On, measure the
resistance between the two wires that come from the dishwasher. (If
you think you may have mixed up which pair of wires is which, measure
for voltage before measuring for resistance.)

I have no idea what Elite means, but if turning the DW on doesn't
yield a less than infinite resistance between the two wires that power
it, you have a bad on/off switch somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:41:06 -0500, "
wrote:

Switch in the kitchen that apparently does nothing? We have one of those,
next to the disposer switch.

LOL.

We had a switch in the front hall that apparently did nothing. Turned
out, it did nothing. It was there in case we put in a light pole at
the end of the driveway. I think connecting the wire would have
requred going into the crawl space, which was all mud whenever I
looked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Switch in the kitchen that apparently does nothing? We have one of those,
next to the disposer switch.

LOL.

We had a switch in the front hall that apparently did nothing. Turned
out, it did nothing. It was there in case we put in a light pole at
the end of the driveway. I think connecting the wire would have
requred going into the crawl space, which was all mud whenever I
looked.

We have another switch in the kitchen and one in the dining room that do
nothing. The one in the kitchen was there for "nook" lights in the wall
between the kitchen and a bedroom (dumb-assed place to put a bedroom). We had
the builder knock the wall down and make the stupid bedroom into a dining
room. The switch in the dining room was for the ceiling fan, something not
really wanted in a formal dining room. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2010 14:23, bobmct wrote:
I have a Kenmore Elite DW and today is has no power. I checked the
breaker for its dedicated circuit and it was not tripped. I reset it
anyway. There were no other breakers tripped.

I thought before I start digging into this I might ask here if anyone
knows where on this machine I should start looking?

Many dishwashers have a switch that cuts all power if the door is not
completely closed. If that's OK, the next place to check is the power
actually getting to the dishwasher. Many installations use a cord and
plug to a receptacle under the sink or in an adjacent cabinet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2010 1:20 AM, Bob wrote:
On 8/14/2010 14:23, bobmct wrote:
I have a Kenmore Elite DW and today is has no power. I checked the
breaker for its dedicated circuit and it was not tripped. I reset it
anyway. There were no other breakers tripped.

I thought before I start digging into this I might ask here if anyone
knows where on this machine I should start looking?

Many dishwashers have a switch that cuts all power if the door is not
completely closed. If that's OK, the next place to check is the power
actually getting to the dishwasher. Many installations use a cord and
plug to a receptacle under the sink or in an adjacent cabinet.

I'd take Bob's advice, except check power first. The switch is
hidden, and like all things mechanical can break. Some devices like
Microwaves have multiple interlocks, I doubt this is necessary on a
dishwasher.

It's usually a good idea to check Google first:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kenmore+Elite+No+Power

Jeff
(who at one time or another has fixed all my appliances)