Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fiber Optic Spyhole?

Jay Hanig wrote:

I had another thought: does anybody make a four way wall switch that
would have an indicator light on it that might light when the circuit is
hot? Knowing the power is going to the light would be the same as
knowing the light was left on.

Any 3-way or 4-way switch can be replaced with a "pilot light" or
"illuminated" version. "Illuminated" switches light up when the load is
off. "Pilot light" switches light up when the load is on, and a neutral
is probably required (not always available at a switch box). In both
versions the handle lights up and is not real bright. There needs to be
a load (a switched receptacle with no load won't work). May not work
with some electronic loads (CFLs?). Incandescent lamps and magnetic
ballasts would certainly work. May be the easiest solution.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay,

Get a Lucite rod from .25 to .75 inches in diameter and however long it
needs to be to pass through the wall or door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)

Cut one end at a 45 degree angle and polish with sandpaper. Insert into a
hole between the garage and the stairwell. Position the angle cut end so
that the flat faces the "viewing point" and it will pipe the light from the
garage into the rod where it will be quite visible from the other side.

http://www.google.com/search?q=buy+lucite+rods

Or, you can try to local a cheap "ship's prism" somewhe

http://www.bracesinfo.com/store/SHIP...461455773.html

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2010 3:54 PM, Robert Green wrote:
Jay,

Get a Lucite rod from .25 to .75 inches in diameter and however long it
needs to be to pass through the wall or door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)

Cut one end at a 45 degree angle and polish with sandpaper. Insert into a
hole between the garage and the stairwell. Position the angle cut end so
that the flat faces the "viewing point" and it will pipe the light from the
garage into the rod where it will be quite visible from the other side.

http://www.google.com/search?q=buy+lucite+rods

Or, you can try to local a cheap "ship's prism" somewhe

http://www.bracesinfo.com/store/SHIP...461455773.html

I tried the peephole and it's unsatisfactory. I'll take a look at what
you've suggested.

Jay
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 1:51*am, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 8/14/2010 3:54 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Jay,

Get a Lucite rod from .25 to .75 inches in diameter and however long it
needs to be to pass through the wall or door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)

Cut one end at a 45 degree angle and polish with sandpaper. *Insert into a
hole between the garage and the stairwell. *Position the angle cut end so
that the flat faces the "viewing point" and it will pipe the light from the
garage into the rod where it will be quite visible from the other side.

http://www.google.com/search?q=buy+lucite+rods

Or, you can try to local a cheap "ship's prism" somewhe

http://www.bracesinfo.com/store/SHIP...461455773.html

I tried the peephole and it's unsatisfactory. *I'll take a look at what
you've suggested.

Did you put a red reflector lens over it? The color will stand out a
lot more. Use a kids bike reflector. I don't know where your lights
are in relation to the door, and whether the lights have deflectors or
are recessed so not much light is being thrown laterally, but you
could try putting a mirror (concave is too much to ask) in the garage
and bounce light onto the peephole. If that doesn't work, I think you
might be looking at running some wiring. Or running a radio in the
garage that's plugged in on the light circuit, and set up an intercom.

Hmmm....I just had a thought. Maybe you could go through the house
electrical system, install an X-10 module or something like that, and
have a remote switch upstairs. There are also wireless things for
stuff like that, but I've never installed any such.

Oh, and I had one last question - do the doors in your garage have
windows? I can look out my second floor window and see the light
coming out of the garage windows even though I can't see the windows
directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2010 2:13 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 15, 1:51 am, Jay wrote:
I tried the peephole and it's unsatisfactory. I'll take a look at what
you've suggested.

Did you put a red reflector lens over it? The color will stand out a
lot more. Use a kids bike reflector.

Nope, didn't try the red reflector but I did try stuffing some fiber
optic rod from a rifle bore inspection light into the peephole. With
all the lights off in the house except in the garage, the rod could be
made out if I stared long enough into the stairwell. I believe adding a
red lense over it will darken it to the point of absolute invisibility.

I don't know where your lights
are in relation to the door, and whether the lights have deflectors or
are recessed so not much light is being thrown laterally, but you
could try putting a mirror (concave is too much to ask) in the garage
and bounce light onto the peephole.

The lights are two 8' fluorescent tubes in each bay. They have the
standard shop type fixture holding them in place with no cover or
anything else over them.

If that doesn't work, I think you
might be looking at running some wiring. Or running a radio in the
garage that's plugged in on the light circuit, and set up an intercom.

Seeking out a four way switch with a pilot light is probably my next
choice.

Oh, and I had one last question - do the doors in your garage have
windows? I can look out my second floor window and see the light
coming out of the garage windows even though I can't see the windows
directly.

http://www.imagenerd.com/uploads/garage_4-1HrcR.jpg

If you look at the top of the photo you can just make out the bottom of
the rails to the deck above. There is a screened in porch directly in
front of my bedroom and the rest of the house has a deck that extends
its full length. That isn't going to work for me.

Like I said, I think I'm going to look for a pilot light switch. my
second choice will be the radio idea and the third choice the ship's prism.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 12:01*am, "CWLee" wrote:
My solution to a similar, but not identical, problem was to
take an old radio and power it through the light socket.
Light on, radio plays my favorite station loud enough to
hear it upstairs; light off, radio off.

Many fancy options in this thread, but I think this points to a cheap
way. Just extend the light circuit up from the basement to a single
(new or existing) fixture in the 2nd floor. If that light is on, the
basement light is on. If you just wire an outlet, you can stick
something low power like a nightlight that won't waste a lot of power
while you're working in the garage.

Henry