Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Hanig[_3_] Jay Hanig[_3_] is offline

Default Fiber Optic Spyhole?

On 8/15/2010 2:13 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 15, 1:51 am, Jay wrote:
I tried the peephole and it's unsatisfactory. I'll take a look at what
you've suggested.

Did you put a red reflector lens over it? The color will stand out a
lot more. Use a kids bike reflector.

Nope, didn't try the red reflector but I did try stuffing some fiber
optic rod from a rifle bore inspection light into the peephole. With
all the lights off in the house except in the garage, the rod could be
made out if I stared long enough into the stairwell. I believe adding a
red lense over it will darken it to the point of absolute invisibility.

I don't know where your lights
are in relation to the door, and whether the lights have deflectors or
are recessed so not much light is being thrown laterally, but you
could try putting a mirror (concave is too much to ask) in the garage
and bounce light onto the peephole.

The lights are two 8' fluorescent tubes in each bay. They have the
standard shop type fixture holding them in place with no cover or
anything else over them.

If that doesn't work, I think you
might be looking at running some wiring. Or running a radio in the
garage that's plugged in on the light circuit, and set up an intercom.

Seeking out a four way switch with a pilot light is probably my next
choice.

Oh, and I had one last question - do the doors in your garage have
windows? I can look out my second floor window and see the light
coming out of the garage windows even though I can't see the windows
directly.

http://www.imagenerd.com/uploads/garage_4-1HrcR.jpg

If you look at the top of the photo you can just make out the bottom of
the rails to the deck above. There is a screened in porch directly in
front of my bedroom and the rest of the house has a deck that extends
its full length. That isn't going to work for me.

Like I said, I think I'm going to look for a pilot light switch. my
second choice will be the radio idea and the third choice the ship's prism.

Jay