Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Dishwasher Won't Drain

My GE dishwasher (Model GSD3408K00WW) seems to cycle normally except
it doesn't drain the water at the end of the cycle.

This model doesn't have a "cancel" button to drain and reset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian Stock
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ian" wrote in message
My GE dishwasher (Model GSD3408K00WW) seems to cycle normally except
it doesn't drain the water at the end of the cycle.

This model doesn't have a "cancel" button to drain and reset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian Stock

I'd start with the drain valve. Does it get power? Does it open? You
should be able to hear it click as the solenoid actuates and there may even
be a visible part on the outside to move.
Is something clogging the drain hose? I had one plug up from an errant
cherry pit right at the drain valve.

check for more info at www.repairclinic.com www.applianceaid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 23:15:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message
My GE dishwasher (Model GSD3408K00WW) seems to cycle normally except
it doesn't drain the water at the end of the cycle.

This model doesn't have a "cancel" button to drain and reset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian Stock

I'd start with the drain valve. Does it get power? Does it open? You
should be able to hear it click as the solenoid actuates and there may even
be a visible part on the outside to move.
Is something clogging the drain hose? I had one plug up from an errant
cherry pit right at the drain valve.

All the things I woudl do first.

The thing I would do last is check for a tiny chicken bone in the
anti-siphon device at the top of the sink, if there is one. I'd do it
last because I can't think of anything else, and that was the last
thing I did, and after I found the bone, I didn't have to do anything
more. It was part of the thin bone right next to the drumstick.
Who'd a thunk it? And I still don't know why the bone kept it from
draining.

check for more info at www.repairclinic.com www.applianceaid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message
[...]

No chicken bones. No cherry pits.

BUT,,,,, the solenoid seems to actuate but only for a quick flick and
then closes again. I believe it is supposed to stay open for the
drain cycle.

Any advice on what to look for or do next?

I am at a cottage so repair help is at best remote, costly, and days
away. I'd like to get this one myself of possbile.

Thanks,

Ian
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ian" wrote

BUT,,,,, the solenoid seems to actuate but only for a quick flick and
then closes again. I believe it is supposed to stay open for the
drain cycle.

Any advice on what to look for or do next?

I am at a cottage so repair help is at best remote, costly, and days
away. I'd like to get this one myself of possbile.

Thanks,

Ian

You know the what, now have to find the why. Do you have a meter? If so,
check to see if voltage is holding on the drain solenoid. If so, it is the
solenoid, if not, it is probably the control that sends the juice to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 10:53:59 -0700 (PDT), Ian
wrote:

check for more info atwww.repairclinic.com*www.applianceaid.com

No chicken bones. No cherry pits.

BUT,,,,, the solenoid seems to actuate but only for a quick flick and
then closes again. I believe it is supposed to stay open for the
drain cycle.

Any advice on what to look for or do next?

Check the voltage at the solennoid. It should be about 110 VAC. Be
sure to put your meter on the 200 VAC range, or something greater than
120 VAC. Is there voltage only when it flicks, or for what would be
the entire drain part of the cycle? If only when it flicks, it's the
timer or timer switches. If all the time, the solenoid is bad.

Everyone should have a meter. They only cost from 3 to 20 dollars for
a good enough one.

But if you don't, or as a double check, in this case, you can take a
piece of lamp cord with a plug on the end and solder a small rubber
covered alligator clip to the end of each of the wires. Then remove
BOTH wires from the dishwasher to the solenoid. They are almost
certainly in one connectors. Clip one of your alligator clips to
one of the metal tabs on the solenoid, and then touch or clip the
other aliigator clip to other tab. Of course don't touch the first
tab or alligator clip or you'll blow the fuse, melt the alligator clip
and if you're touching the metal, maybe burn yourself. But I'm a
klutz and I've never hurt myself yet.

When both wires are connected, the solenoid should stay open the whole
time. If it doesn't the solenoid is bad.

I am at a cottage so repair help is at best remote, costly, and days
away. I'd like to get this one myself of possbile.

If you are roughing it at a cottage, you should use brambles to scrape
your dishes, the stream to wash them, and leaves to dry them.

But if you have no alligator clips, you can strip for a quarter or
half inch and twist each end of the wire to make them like probes and
test that way.

Wait a second. If you can't buy a meter, how are you going to buy a
solenoid or whatever else is broken?

Thanks,

Ian

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 5:27*pm, "don &/or Lucille"
wrote:
Bone in the impeller?

The washer sprays, which leads me to believe that the impeller is
pumping. Doesn't the same pump spray inside and drain the tank,
depending on the solenoid position?

Ian
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ian" wrote

The washer sprays, which leads me to believe that the impeller is
pumping. Doesn't the same pump spray inside and drain the tank,
depending on the solenoid position?

Yes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 11:54*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Ian" wrote

The washer sprays, which leads me to believe that the impeller is
pumping. *Doesn't the same pump spray inside and drain the tank,
depending on the solenoid position?

Yes

OK. Hopefully last post.

Power to solenoid is intermittent through the cycle. As I cycle
through, there are flashes of voltage to the solenoid it signal
doesn't last. That said, i can't figure out how the controller could
be shot. Isn't it just driven off a timer?

On a separate note, can someone explain (or confirm) the mechanics of
this machine? It seems that there is a motor, that drives a pump
under the center of the tub. The water drains into the pump from just
back of center. The pump either pumps the water up the center to the
sprayer (solenoid off), or (solenoid on) through a tube on the bottom
of the pump housing, out to another reservoir on the backside of the
bottom. This reservoir seems to be an overflow from the inside back
of the tub. What I don't understand is: if the drain water is being
pumped out into the second reservoir, what prevents it from just being
pumped back into the tub through the overflow? Should the overflow be
one-way? If so, if there a chance that this is my problem (as well)?

Ian

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ian wrote:
On Aug 7, 11:54 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Ian" wrote

The washer sprays, which leads me to believe that the impeller is
pumping. Doesn't the same pump spray inside and drain the tank,
depending on the solenoid position?

Yes

OK. Hopefully last post.

Power to solenoid is intermittent through the cycle. As I cycle
through, there are flashes of voltage to the solenoid it signal
doesn't last. That said, i can't figure out how the controller could
be shot. Isn't it just driven off a timer?

Yes, and timers, clocks, what ever you want to call them do go bad all
the time. Sure sounds like yours is bad. In some cases it's possible
to repair the timer. All you need to do is find the bad switch(s) on
the timer assembly and replace them. Or buy and install a new timer.
Or on other equipment where the original switches aren't available, many
times I've opened up a snap action switch ("micro switch" is a brand
name) open them up, clean the contacts and put them together again.

You lost me down below.

On a separate note, can someone explain (or confirm) the mechanics of
this machine? It seems that there is a motor, that drives a pump
under the center of the tub. The water drains into the pump from just
back of center. The pump either pumps the water up the center to the
sprayer (solenoid off), or (solenoid on) through a tube on the bottom
of the pump housing, out to another reservoir on the backside of the
bottom. This reservoir seems to be an overflow from the inside back
of the tub. What I don't understand is: if the drain water is being
pumped out into the second reservoir, what prevents it from just being
pumped back into the tub through the overflow? Should the overflow be
one-way? If so, if there a chance that this is my problem (as well)?

Ian

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 08:49:17 -0700 (PDT), Ian
wrote:

On Aug 7, 11:54*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Ian" wrote

The washer sprays, which leads me to believe that the impeller is
pumping. *Doesn't the same pump spray inside and drain the tank,
depending on the solenoid position?

Yes

OK. Hopefully last post.

Power to solenoid is intermittent through the cycle. As I cycle
through, there are flashes of voltage to the solenoid it signal
doesn't last. That said, i can't figure out how the controller could
be shot. Isn't it just driven off a timer?

With this probelm, I don't know why you expect this to be the last
post.

I don't know machines by model, but do you have a knob that you can
turn to advance the mahcine to the next part of the cycle? Does it
rotate when you don't touch it. Do you hear clicks periodically?

If so you have a mechanical timer. (I assume by now they make totally
electronic times, like I think they do for clothes washers and
dryers.)

You'd have to take out the timer/switches to replace it anyhow, and if
it's mechanical, absolutely you may be able to just replace or repair
the one bad switch. IF you can't get a switch locally, try
www.mouser.com The online catalog has dimensions and if you click on
the right field, it will show you more details including sketches.
You'll have to look at the sketch to see what you're getting.

On a separate note, can someone explain (or confirm) the mechanics of
this machine? It seems that there is a motor, that drives a pump
under the center of the tub. The water drains into the pump from just
back of center. The pump either pumps the water up the center to the
sprayer (solenoid off), or (solenoid on) through a tube on the bottom
of the pump housing, out to another reservoir on the backside of the
bottom. This reservoir seems to be an overflow from the inside back
of the tub. What I don't understand is: if the drain water is being
pumped out into the second reservoir, what prevents it from just being
pumped back into the tub through the overflow? Should the overflow be
one-way? If so, if there a chance that this is my problem (as well)?

Ian

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any advice on what to look for or do next?

Take two steps back. Did I change the plumbing under the sick? Did I
forget too knock out the plastic thing from the new disposal plumbing.
Is the anti-siphon tube at attention or attached to the sink?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any advice on what to look for or do next?

Take two steps back. Did I change the plumbing under the sick? Did I
forget too knock out the plastic thing from the new disposal plumbing.
Is the anti-siphon tube at attention or attached to the sink?

There is a check valve in the drain line at the pump. Stuck?

Dishwasher won't drain [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 2nd 07 02:07 AM
Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain and garbage disposal is rusted in place. mm Home Repair 2 August 20th 06 03:08 AM
Dishwasher won't drain Al Davis Home Repair 10 March 15th 05 05:45 PM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Dishwasher will not drain Mr Harry UK diy 1 December 11th 03 09:02 AM