Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default GE Dishwasher Won't Drain

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 10:53:59 -0700 (PDT), Ian
wrote:

check for more info atwww.repairclinic.com*www.applianceaid.com

No chicken bones. No cherry pits.

BUT,,,,, the solenoid seems to actuate but only for a quick flick and
then closes again. I believe it is supposed to stay open for the
drain cycle.

Any advice on what to look for or do next?

Check the voltage at the solennoid. It should be about 110 VAC. Be
sure to put your meter on the 200 VAC range, or something greater than
120 VAC. Is there voltage only when it flicks, or for what would be
the entire drain part of the cycle? If only when it flicks, it's the
timer or timer switches. If all the time, the solenoid is bad.

Everyone should have a meter. They only cost from 3 to 20 dollars for
a good enough one.

But if you don't, or as a double check, in this case, you can take a
piece of lamp cord with a plug on the end and solder a small rubber
covered alligator clip to the end of each of the wires. Then remove
BOTH wires from the dishwasher to the solenoid. They are almost
certainly in one connectors. Clip one of your alligator clips to
one of the metal tabs on the solenoid, and then touch or clip the
other aliigator clip to other tab. Of course don't touch the first
tab or alligator clip or you'll blow the fuse, melt the alligator clip
and if you're touching the metal, maybe burn yourself. But I'm a
klutz and I've never hurt myself yet.

When both wires are connected, the solenoid should stay open the whole
time. If it doesn't the solenoid is bad.

I am at a cottage so repair help is at best remote, costly, and days
away. I'd like to get this one myself of possbile.

If you are roughing it at a cottage, you should use brambles to scrape
your dishes, the stream to wash them, and leaves to dry them.

But if you have no alligator clips, you can strip for a quarter or
half inch and twist each end of the wire to make them like probes and
test that way.

Wait a second. If you can't buy a meter, how are you going to buy a
solenoid or whatever else is broken?

Thanks,

Ian