Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Odor question w/new topload Kenmore washer?

My daughter replaced her failing washer with a new Kenmore almost a
year ago. Although it works well she complains of an odor eminating
from it when not in use. Her old one never had that issue.

It was installed in exactly the same spot as the previous one using
the same water source and drain (although all the hoses are new).

My thought is that it might not be completely draining somewhere 'down
under' and after sitting a day or two perhaps the bacteria is doing it
(they are on well water).

Has anyone experienced this issue before and if so what, if anything,
was done to aleviate this issue?

Any/all ideas greatly appreciated.

Concerned Dad
Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote:
My daughter replaced her failing washer with a new Kenmore almost a
year ago. Although it works well she complains of an odor eminating
from it when not in use. Her old one never had that issue.

It was installed in exactly the same spot as the previous one using
the same water source and drain (although all the hoses are new).

My thought is that it might not be completely draining somewhere 'down
under' and after sitting a day or two perhaps the bacteria is doing it
(they are on well water).

Has anyone experienced this issue before and if so what, if anything,
was done to aleviate this issue?

Any/all ideas greatly appreciated.

Hmm.

1. Sniff the entrance to the drain. The washer may be passing through sewer
gas. (If so, you can probably fashion a p-trap.)

2. Does she ever use bleach? If so, it will kill any microscopic nasties
that might linger.

3. And yes, bacteria thrive on some types of well water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 2:59*pm, bobmct wrote:
My daughter replaced her failing washer with a new Kenmore almost a
year ago. *Although it works well she complains of an odor eminating
from it when not in use. *Her old one never had that issue.

It was installed in exactly the same spot as the previous one using
the same water source and drain (although all the hoses are new).

My thought is that it might not be completely draining somewhere 'down
under' and after sitting a day or two perhaps the bacteria is doing it
(they are on well water).

Has anyone experienced this issue before and if so what, if anything,
was done to aleviate this issue?

Any/all ideas greatly appreciated. *

Concerned Dad

You may have dirt buildup between the inner and outer tubs. You may
need to remove the tub cover to check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 4:59*pm, bobmct wrote:
My daughter replaced her failing washer with a new Kenmore almost a
year ago. *Although it works well she complains of an odor eminating
from it when not in use. *Her old one never had that issue.

It was installed in exactly the same spot as the previous one using
the same water source and drain (although all the hoses are new).

My thought is that it might not be completely draining somewhere 'down
under' and after sitting a day or two perhaps the bacteria is doing it
(they are on well water).

Has anyone experienced this issue before and if so what, if anything,
was done to aleviate this issue?

Any/all ideas greatly appreciated. *

Concerned Dad

Keep the top open when not in use, run a half gallon of bleach
through it. I bet its mold as mine can smell, there is alwys some
water in the machine and closing the top just makes a good place for
things to grow
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bobmct" wrote in message
My daughter replaced her failing washer with a new Kenmore almost a
year ago. Although it works well she complains of an odor eminating
from it when not in use. Her old one never had that issue.

It was installed in exactly the same spot as the previous one using
the same water source and drain (although all the hoses are new).

My thought is that it might not be completely draining (BINGO) somewhere
'down
under' and after sitting a day or two perhaps the bacteria is doing it
(they are on well water).

Has anyone experienced this issue before and if so what, if anything,
was done to aleviate this issue?

Any/all ideas greatly appreciated.

Concerned Dad

Kenmore Front Loading Washer - top panel question [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 7th 06 02:40 PM
remove washer odor motsbc Home Repair 10 September 19th 06 02:23 AM
Help - Weak Agitation on Topload Washer Arthur Shapiro Home Repair 3 July 10th 06 04:43 PM
Kenmore washer mark Ransley Home Repair 7 October 28th 03 11:06 PM
kenmore washer Rich Home Repair 1 July 6th 03 04:59 PM