Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Curing concrete

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly poured
concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature is over 90
degrees, humidity is almost 100%. Anything else I need to do to ensure
proper curing of concrete?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 10:09*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
ls02 wrote:
How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly poured
concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature is over 90
degrees, humidity is almost 100%. Anything else I need to do to ensure
proper curing of concrete?

Keep it wet.

Jon

You can reduce the need to keep putting water in it by wetting it down
and covering it with plastic for a couple days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly poured
concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature is over 90
degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

For the footings, I'd just cover them with plastic for at least 24
hours-- If you can wait a few days before uncovering, all the better.

I used a sealer on a slab in my basement and was pleased with the
results. It gets sprayed on liberally as soon as the concrete stops
puddle-ing. It slows evaporation so you don't get surface cracks. It
was about 1 year ago & the slab still looks wet. That may or may
not be what you want for your patio, but it is worth looking into.

Anything else I need to do to ensure
proper curing of concrete?

Just remember that concrete doesn't reach full [95% anyway] hardness
for a month. Take it easy on it especially around the edges.

[and air-entraining that patio is a good idea]
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces
into the ground - which you can't keep wet from the top side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 10:25*am, Sum Guy wrote:
ls02 wrote:
How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces
into the ground *- which you can't keep wet from the top side.

Kind of depends on the ground. If the ground was wet where you dug
then it is less likely to draw water out of the concrete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:04:39 -0700, ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly poured
concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature is over 90
degrees, humidity is almost 100%. Anything else I need to do to ensure
proper curing of concrete?

Aside from listening to your concrete contractor's advice just keep it
slightly damp for the first 24.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 10:25*am, Sum Guy wrote:
ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

Yeah, right. Like the world stops when it gets hot. Concrete has
been placed for centuries in hot weather. The problems are not
insurmountable, and waiting is not really an intelligent option.

Wet it down and cover it with plastic. Wet it until it the concrete
turns dark, and maybe a little more. How often you have to wet it
down will depend on many factors, but the answer is the same - keep it
wet and dark. Don't drown it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 11:52*am, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 10:25:13 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:
ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces
into the ground *- which you can't keep wet from the top side.

You should be using plastic under the concrete.

There's already too much plastic being buried...then again, I suppose
if we bury it all and wait around for long enough, we'll be
replenishing the oil 'aquifer'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Sum Guy wrote:
ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces
into the ground - which you can't keep wet from the top side.

You could have been "less-stupid" by not assuming that any concrete had
already been placed or that the substrate was dry enough to draw
moisture from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Sum Guy wrote:
ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces
into the ground - which you can't keep wet from the top side.

You could have been "less-stuped" by not assuming that any concrete had
already been poured or that the underlying substrate was so dry that
it would draw moisture off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article , Sum Guy wrote:
ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces
into the ground - which you can't keep wet from the top side.

You could have been "less-stuped" by not assuming that any concrete had
already been poured or that the underlying substrate was so dry that
it would draw moisture off.

ROTFLMAO. Hit the send again, PLEASE!. Looks like stupidity may be
contagious here. I needs to be careful.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:00*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

ROTFLMAO. *Hit the send again, PLEASE!. *Looks like stupidity may be
contagious here. *I needs to be careful.

Larry was responding to Sum Guy. Why are you taking exception and
amusement in his response to someone else's...? Oh, wait. You're a
nym shifter. Got it. Nevermind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-
strength end result.

You could have been "less-stuped" by not assuming that any concrete
had already been poured or that the underlying substrate was so dry
that it would draw moisture off.

You are stating what the conditions are or will be.

You did not ask if it would be a better idea to wait unti the ambient
temperature drops.

Don't play logical games with words - you don't seem up to the
challenge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

ROTFLMAO. Hit the send again, PLEASE!. Looks like stupidity may
be contagious here. I needs to be careful.

Larry was responding to Sum Guy.

Yes, and he responded twice. Or didn't you comprehend that?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 10:19:22 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Anything else I need to do to ensure
proper curing of concrete?

Just remember that concrete doesn't reach full [95% anyway] hardness
for a month. Take it easy on it especially around the edges.

They say the Panama Canal locks were still hardening 65 years later.
Maybe longer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anything else I need to do to ensure
proper curing of concrete?

Just remember that concrete doesn't reach full [95% anyway] hardness
for a month. Take it easy on it especially around the edges.

They say the Panama Canal locks were still hardening 65 years later.
Maybe longer.

According to the TV shows, Hoover Dam will still be curing for another
century or so.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 8:09*am, Reno wrote:
ls02 wrote in news:88e4452b-c03f-4196-b5f1-
:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly poured
concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature is over 90
degrees, humidity is almost 100%. Anything else I need to do to ensure
proper curing of concrete?

Concrete reaches over 90% of it's max strength in about 7 days. It takes 28
days to reach full max strength. Since the 90% value is most likely good
enough (most designs have a safety factor) the 7 day period is often used
as time frame to keep it wet and to protect it from high loads. Actually
damp is as good or better than wet, especially for the first few hours,
because you only need to prevent the drying action. As another poster said
- cover with plastic sheets to keep it wet as it would dry in a few hours
if uncovered.

Spraying it with curing compound helps a lot. It doesn't eliminate the need
to keep the surface damp but it helps a lot with surface hardness which can
avoid spauling. If its more than a few hours old it is too late to get much
benefit from curing compound so don't bother then.

Rather guess or spread misinformation.......

PCA - Portland Cement Association is a great source of accurate
information

http://www.cement.org/basics/concretebasics_faqs.asp

U of Texas - Austin has done a great deal of research on concrete

Texas DOT research developed a "maturity measure". Time and temperature are the two parameters which effect the maturity of the concrete. Concrete that experiences elevated temperatures has a maturity (cure / strength) equal to concrete with longer cure at 70 F. Thus, "normal 28 day strength" may be achieved much sooner at higher temperatures.

fyi

1) 28 days is not maximum strength merely a commonly agreed upon point
in time to test concrete strength (as are 3 day & 7 day tests)
2) most concrete mix designs under "normal curing conditions" are not
a 90% max strength in 7 days........ more like 75% of 28 day strength

Once concrete is surfaced cured sufficiently to avoid spray damage,
keep it wet (don't let surface dry out) for a few days or ideally
several days (longer is better).
Cover with plastic, burlap, carpet or spray on curing compounds.
Wetter is better as is longer.

Water applied to surface or cure compounds are to ensure that
sufficient water is present in the curing concrete to allow for
complete hydration of the cement reaction.

Applied water replaces water lost to evap, soil or forms. Compounds
are supposed to keep evap down.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did my driveway by hand in sections 10x8...after pouring cement and
finishing I then layed blankets on the cement, covered with plastic and kept
wet for 2 weeks.
That was 30 years ago and no problems. I had 18 inches of bottom ash from a
local power plant as a base also..along with reinforcement wire should last
my lifetime.
"Larry W" wrote in message
In article , Sum Guy wrote:
ls02 wrote:

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly
poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature
is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%.

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the
temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength
end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces
into the ground - which you can't keep wet from the top side.

You could have been "less-stupid" by not assuming that any concrete had
already been placed or that the substrate was dry enough to draw
moisture from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 1:47*pm, "jimmy" wrote:
I did my driveway by hand in sections 10x8...after pouring cement and
finishing I then layed blankets on the cement, covered with plastic and kept
wet for 2 weeks.
That was 30 years ago and no problems. I had 18 inches of bottom ash from a
local power plant as a base also..along with reinforcement wire should last
my lifetime.

With 18" of compacted base you don't need any reinforcement unless
you're parking a tank on it. That's a great use for the ash. Did you
have to pick it up? Was it free for the taking?

Concrete Curing Time Gene Bleuler Home Repair 23 July 16th 18 12:16 PM
New concrete driveway curing time ? rkpatt Home Ownership 20 September 6th 17 02:14 AM
Fast concrete curing peejos UK diy 6 September 16th 08 08:52 PM
Curing concrete in cold conditions Dan_Musicant Home Repair 2 January 17th 07 05:14 PM
Curing Concrete-Colder Temps James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 7 January 3rd 06 11:58 PM