Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Default New Fridge - setting up monitoring

On 7 Aug 2010 20:16:16 GMT, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

In article , (Robert Green) writes:

| going
| away without realizing the lack of opening and closing the door would drop
| the refrigerator compartment to below freezing

I noticed this effect (i.e., that I was part of the temperature regulation)
on my previous KitchenAid refrigerator (which replaced an in retrospect far
superior 1959 Tappan). The temperature controls also required tweaking from
season to season apparently to account for ambient temperature. This puzzled
me at first. I knew that only the refrigerator section was thermostatically
controlled (relying on the compressor to run enough to keep the freezer section
frozen) but you would think that this would at least result in, like, you know,
regulating the temperature in the refrigerator section.

I eventually decided that the problem was that the thermostat in the
refrigerator section was in the air path from the freezer section, so
if you set it such that the desired steady-state temperature was maintained
it would take a very long time to get there, perhaps never getting there if
you opened the door from time to time. On the other hand if you set it to
keep the temperature where you wanted with the door opening occasionally it
would freeze as you noticed when you weren't there to open the door.

I bought a Sub-Zero which uses a completely separate cooling system for
freezer and refrigerator. This works very well, but I still wonder how
the old Tappan managed to do the same job with only one compressor. As
far as I remember it did not blow air from the freezer into the refrigerator
and I think there were coils in both sections, so perhaps it diverted
freon according to need.

Dual evaporator coil frig's turn the appropriate fans when needed.
I been using a Samsung dualie model for six years now. (nice)

From what I been told, and have observed in real life, 10 to 12 years
is the expected lifespan of most modern refridgerators. When the
compressor intermitantly fails to start. Installing a 110v hard
start kit, ~15$, will add a couple of years to the working lifespan.

Systems to run multiple evaporators from one
condenser (not one outdoor unit with multiple condensers) are starting
to show up in mini-splits so this general kind of thing seems possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

"aemeijers" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...

Hmm. Commercial coke machines, really just fancy refrigerators, already
come with onboard sensors and alarm systems, web page control consoles for
remote management, and modem (maybe even LAN by now) jacks. They even
Phone Home when they need refilling, or the cash box is full. It'd be
trivial for a manufacturer to add that to a home fridge. Probably already
on the 'to do' list for the smart power networks the tree huggers keep
pushing. Master Control up in the sky dials back the power whenever the
temp is within acceptable range, and it hasn't logged a door opening in
the last hour or something.

Another damn appliance smarter than the bipeds living there....

My fridge allready tell me the temp of both side in celsius or farenhight..
and guess what.. it has an alarm (local) if there is a long power faillure
and temp goes higher then 56 it will buzz till acknoledge..

from there web page..

Alarm System
Notifies you if there's been a power failure, if a door stays open longer
than five minutes and if the interior temperature of the refrigerator ever
rises above 56 degrees for more than 20 minutes.

source:

http://www.electroluxappliances.com/...oor/ew23bc71is

My wife love them fridge and stove).. me I just hope they will last long
enough to pay them before I have to replace them.. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Have a look at ioBridge.com. Their monitoring can trigger emails
alerts without monthly monitoring costs. Also no PC required! I have
my modem and ioBridge connected to a UPS for monitoring my house. So
far it hasn't been the power outages causing me trouble, but the
lightning on the phones lines

Reading this over, I realized I need two more monitors. *A battery-backed
dialer that can call my cellphone to tell me to buy dry ice because the
power or compressor failed and a door alert to let me know if the dog
manages to open the door again! *