Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Large wasp nest

You think you've got problems.

"[UK] Britain's biggest wasp nest has been discovered in a pub in
Southampton... measuring a staggering 6ft by 5ft and containing half a
million insects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0vbY7voyX

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 11:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
You think you've got problems.

"[UK] Britain's biggest wasp nest has been discovered in a pub in
Southampton... measuring a staggering 6ft by 5ft and containing half a
million insects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-biggest-wasp...

The article is entitled:

"Wasps' nest nearly as big as a car found in pub attic"

I'd like to know how they got the car into the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-04, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0vbY7voyX

Damn! ....that's reasonable grounds to bring in a Vergeltungswaffe 2
(V2 rocket)! An M2 flamethrower at the very least. Also, I recommend
two of either one ....er 2.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 22:34:40 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

You think you've got problems.

"[UK] Britain's biggest wasp nest has been discovered in a pub in
Southampton... measuring a staggering 6ft by 5ft and containing half a
million insects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0vbY7voyX

What did they expect to find in Britain, WOPs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-04, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0vbY7voyX

Damn! ....that's reasonable grounds to bring in a Vergeltungswaffe 2
(V2 rocket)! An M2 flamethrower at the very least. Also, I recommend
two of either one ....er 2.

Heh, if the character who stole MY hornets' nest were there, dat nest would
be *gone*!
--
EA

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2010 10:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:
You think you've got problems.

"[UK] Britain's biggest wasp nest has been discovered in a pub in
Southampton... measuring a staggering 6ft by 5ft and containing half a
million insects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0vbY7voyX

Imagine this, a huge nest weighs so much that it crashes through
the ceiling upon some unsuspecting drunks. How would they react,
the drunks not the wasps? 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:38:07 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Wasps' nest nearly as big as a car found in pub attic"

I'd like to know how they got the car into the attic.

Drunken students, probably. You don't need many people to move something
like an old-style Mini ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You think you've got problems.

"[UK] Britain's biggest wasp nest has been discovered in a pub in
Southampton... measuring a staggering 6ft by 5ft and containing half a
million insects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0vbY7voyX

Those are hornets, not wasps.
That is actually worse. Wasps are not as aggressive.

Hornets *are* wasps. But I don't see any mention of species-- or a
good enough picture to see what they are. Did you?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:38:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Those are hornets, not wasps.
That is actually worse. Wasps are not as aggressive.

I don't see any mention of species-- or a good
enough picture to see what they are. Did you?

Yeah, I thought that - where's the picture? I didn't see anything in the
article to say they weren't plain ol' wasps.

(I recall UK wasps as being naturally far more agressive than the ones I
see now here in the US - and UK hornets being quite rare things, often
seen in isolation)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you always find it necessary to spew every thought you have? A conversation
with you must be really boring.

You could try thinking about whether this crap is on topic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:38:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Those are hornets, not wasps.
That is actually worse. Wasps are not as aggressive.

I don't see any mention of species-- or a good
enough picture to see what they are. Did you?

Yeah, I thought that - where's the picture? I didn't see anything in the
article to say they weren't plain ol' wasps.

(I recall UK wasps as being naturally far more agressive than the ones I
see now here in the US - and UK hornets being quite rare things, often
seen in isolation)

cheers

Jules

I totally agree. In order for me to post my illuminati opinion, I must have
genus, specie, and DNA sample.

Amateurs!

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Do you always find it necessary to spew every thought you have? A
conversation with you must be really boring.

You could try thinking about whether this crap is on topic.

Do you think you could post some snippage to let people know WTF YOU are
talking about? Insects in an attic is a common problem for many home repair
people.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 9:08*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:38:07 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Wasps' nest nearly as big as a car found in pub attic"

I'd like to know how they got the car into the attic.

Drunken students, probably. You don't need many people to move something
like an old-style Mini ;-)

Or engineering students.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...me-engineering
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:25:50 -0400,
wrote:
-snip-

Those are hornets, not wasps.
That is actually worse. Wasps are not as aggressive.

Hornets *are* wasps. But I don't see any mention of species-- or a
good enough picture to see what they are. Did you?

I suppose you call all of those stinging insects "bees". ;-)

No-- The order of Hymenoptera is made up of Bees, Wasps, and ants.
Hornets are wasps. [no hair, don't eat pollen & have slender waist]

As a general rule bees and hornets live inside the nest. Wasps only
use the nest to lay eggs in and they live outside the nest.

General rule, but not all-- See the Mexican honey wasp nest-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72915472@N00/2824600160/
[that guy has quite a collection]

Some years ago I did do a study on these animals and had a board with
about 2 dozen different varieties of bee/hornet/wasp type insects to
try to clear the air on this.

I assume there are cultural differences and people do blur the line
between them in different places but this is the way I have been
taught.

This is the way I learned it-- though not from CO;
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/whatis.htm

Note that they lump the hornets and yellowjackets in with the social
wasps.

So did you see a species mentioned, or do you know that was a hornets
nest in the UK?

BTW- here's a big nest in New Zealand- identified as a wasp nest.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/vespids/intro.html

Jim

What do I do with this? (wasp nest) Tim Downie[_2_] UK diy 30 February 17th 08 05:07 PM
how to get rid of large paper hornet/wasp nest in attic? Rob[_6_] Home Repair 16 November 9th 07 03:23 PM
Getting Rid of Wasp Nest Les Home Repair 12 November 22nd 06 05:03 PM
Wasp nest wattie UK diy 36 July 20th 06 05:30 PM
Wasp nest Nick UK diy 43 January 31st 05 02:18 AM