Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to get rid of large paper hornet/wasp nest in attic?

There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:56:26 -0800, "Cshenk"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote
What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Have a incest company come in and do it grin.

Keep it in the family, so to speak?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 9:42 am, Rob wrote:
There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

Go to the hardware store and get the can of wasp killer that will
shoot about 30 feet.
Put on a mask before you spray, have a quick exit plan. The spray is
very accurate
and you should have no problem hitting the nest.
It will kill all wasp. They do sleep so spraying at night is best.
Remove the next day.
Use a visual to see if there are any still flying before removing.
Been there, done that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:42:12 -0000, Rob
wrote:

There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

Use hornet/wasp spray to soak it. Hornets/wasps don't fly in the dark
or dim light. Next day, knock it down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rob" wrote

There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

I'd be spooked too.

Idea? See if others find this useful or have better ideas?

If you can 'seal' the attic temporarily with plastic taped down around any
exterior side openings (a large trashbag over the gable vent?), then be able
to vacate the house for several hours (pets too!), you may be able to just
toss several bugboms up there. Ones that say they kill wasps etc?

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Have a incest company come in and do it grin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

You say it was active last summer. Do you mean this summer, or the one before?
If the one before, and no activity this summer, just scrape it off.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rob wrote:
There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

The best way to do it, without getting stung, is to have your MIL do it.
Once she's in the attic, block the exit so she can't get out. You'll be
killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 4:22 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

ups.com...

There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

You say it was active last summer. Do you mean this summer, or the one before?
If the one before, and no activity this summer, just scrape it off.

Bob

I mean this summer.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

after a couple hard frosts they are toast,,not alive . i have
them in cedar trees here in ky and after a frost or two they die. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 11:42 am, Rob wrote:
There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

A few years ago I discovered a large nest filling a joist bay in my
attic space. Basically a 12" high x 16" wide x 2' deep nest. I
waited until the temp was 40 degrees or so. Dressed in several layers
of bulky clothing, I entered the attic space with a small light, long
metal rod and spray. I cut a long gash into the nest and hosed down
the inside of the nest with spray. I didn't notice much reaction from
them as I high-tailed it out of there. I closed up the attic for a
day or two before reentering to view the carnage. There were no
survivors. I easily extracted the nest and made sure to seal their
entry point from the outside into the attic. What an adrenaline
rush! Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:42:12 +0000, Rob wrote:

There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to chance
waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like a
tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd like
to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

If it is last season's nest, most likely it's been abandoned. I don't
believe paper wasps reuse their nests.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

I have removed them outdoors at night. My understanding is that they
either can not see at night, or they are asleep (not sure which).
I went up to the eaves armed with a can of insect spray just in case,
and used a dim flashlight. I never had any problems doing it.

Or just wait another week or two till it gets below freezing....
You should also find the place they are getting in, and fix it or they
will be back next year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

will be back next year.- Hide quoted text -

I had one on my rear window and was able to watch them grow their
young, it was fascinating.

after a hard freeze I removed the nest they never returned.

I just steered clear of the area, which was easy to do at the time.

now the window is replaced by a door to our deck which gets used at
most once a year. Its nice but was a waste of money and effort.

too hot, too cold, too buggy, rain, etc etc etc.

nearly as long as a list of why women dont want sex

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 8:42 am, Rob wrote:
There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

I am probably wrong and am too lazy this mornign to google it but...

I think that the only wasp that overwinters is the queen who starts a
new nest in the spring, lays eggs and thus starts a new colony. I get
those critters around here every year and have never seen an old nest
re-used. That does not apply to the other types of wasps.

Harry K

bald faced hornet nest - how to remove? zootal Home Repair 22 July 14th 15 04:30 PM
Getting Rid of Wasp Nest Les Home Repair 12 November 22nd 06 05:03 PM
Wasp nest wattie UK diy 36 July 20th 06 05:30 PM
wasp or hornet? [email protected] UK diy 16 November 11th 05 09:33 PM
Wasp nest Nick UK diy 43 January 31st 05 02:18 AM