Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circ saw

As a follow-up to a recent thread (re replacing DW with Bosch) where a
comment about left blade circular saws came up....

At the time it occurred to me that both my corded and cordless models
were left blade (not that I remember ever considering it as a factor
at the time). I have to replace the corded (finally died a death) and
am only looking at left blades. I notice though that (1) there are
far more right blade models available, and (2) in some lines the left
blade model seems to carry a premium price.

What gives? Is there ever a time that a user would find right blade
preferable? Why do they make more right than left?! I can't imagine
there's a manufacturing reason why one would be cheaper than the
other, so it must be that consumer preference is more towards right
blade. Hmmmm.....confused....

Cub
Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote:
As a follow-up to a recent thread (re replacing DW with Bosch) where a
comment about left blade circular saws came up....

At the time it occurred to me that both my corded and cordless models
were left blade (not that I remember ever considering it as a factor
at the time). I have to replace the corded (finally died a death) and
am only looking at left blades. I notice though that (1) there are
far more right blade models available, and (2) in some lines the left
blade model seems to carry a premium price.

What gives? Is there ever a time that a user would find right blade
preferable? Why do they make more right than left?! I can't imagine
there's a manufacturing reason why one would be cheaper than the
other, so it must be that consumer preference is more towards right
blade. Hmmmm.....confused....

Cub

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library...uts-A3696.html
"When they made the first portable, electric circular saw they put the
motor on the right, the blade on the left and the handle was above the
blade. When you made a cut and got to the end, the weight of the then
big and heavy motor would naturally make the saw fall off to the right
and butcher the end of the cut. So, an individual came up with the
bright idea of putting the motor on the left and the blade on the right,
which left the main weight of the saw and the majority of the base on
the stable member of the cut. They didn’t realize that with the blade on
the right, a right-handed person had to lean over the top of the saw to
see the line of the cut."

I think they fully realized the compromise they were making, and that it
made sense at the time given the way circular saws were used. Now that
saws are lighter and miter saws are used for many of the cuts that used
to be done with the circular saw, there's less of a case to be made for
the right-bladed saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library...y-Subject_Carp...
[...]

They didn't realize it?

OK, so maybe they didn't *think* about it during the design phase, but
the very first time they used the saw they must have realized it...yet
they ("they" being *all* manufacturers) kept making them and making
them and making them.

As the OP said, right blades are much more common than left blades
even to this day. I'm not buying the "they didn't realize it" part of
that explanation.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 31, 6:37*pm, cubby wrote:
As a follow-up to a recent thread (re replacing DW with Bosch) where a
comment about left blade circular saws came up....

At the time it occurred to me that both my corded and cordless models
were left blade (not that I remember ever considering it as a factor
at the time). *I have to replace the corded (finally died a death) and
am only looking at left blades. *I notice though that (1) there are
far more right blade models available, and (2) in some lines the left
blade model seems to carry a premium price.

What gives? *Is there ever a time that a user would find right blade
preferable? *Why do they make more right than left?! *I can't imagine
there's a manufacturing reason why one would be cheaper than the
other, so it must be that consumer preference is more towards right
blade. *Hmmmm.....confused....

Cub

Right or left, all the sidewinder saws suck. I finally had it with my
DeWalt sidewinder and got classic Mag 77 Skillsaw worm drive.
Unbelievable difference...it follows a chalk line without wandering,
visible blade, loads of power. The same saw is sold by Bosch with
twistlock plugs (helps prevent them wandering off the job) at a
somewhat higher price. The $$ difference over the sidewinder is about
60 bucks or so, and worth it.

Joe

Workbench Adaptor - for Circ saw Arthur 51 UK diy 6 April 17th 08 09:23 PM
Difference between a single and double circ. breaker?? Dave Home Repair 9 June 6th 06 12:12 PM
Circ. Saw blade for plywood [email protected] Woodworking 6 September 27th 05 04:01 PM
Lighting circ unearthed Fred UK diy 13 May 20th 05 12:44 PM
circ pump noise? (hot water heat) Chuckles Home Repair 12 September 30th 03 01:46 AM