Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weed Wacker advice needed

Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2010 7:57 AM, desgnr wrote:
Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

I've had them all. Liked but did not make sense to buy a $50
replacement battery for something that cost $50.
Now I use corded for stuff close to house and gas powered for areas
further away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 6:57*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

How much use will it have a month in minutes, what are you cutting,
easy low horizontal edging thats a few minutes or big weeds and edging
a lawn using the sting verticaly for 30 minutes a week, are you good
with motors. For 5-10 minutes a week a battery unit can work,
batteries may last only 2-4 years so check replacement costs and you
wont have the power of gas. For a gas unit that will last, cut
anything, be easy to start and reliable get an Echo. Gauge of line is
important, I have a straight shaft Echo that has thick thick line,
maybe .120, and it cuts and cuts without wasting time with putting in
new line edging grass and hitting the concrete. I have an electric
with real thin line that wont last a minute if I hit a fence, so the
gauge of wire is important or you could waste more time spooling line
than cutting. For battery units B&D is not only the cheapest but
cheaply made and the bateries too. Read reviews on battery units if
you go that route, but Ryobi battery stuff is good for the money, I
have the cordless bush trimmer, [ I returned the B&D unit] its good
for 10 minute lightweight cutting and Ryobi has alot of different
tools. I dont use my battery weed wacker anymore, its to slow, doesnt
run long enough, the line is to thin and breaks every few minutes, but
for a real small yard of easy trimming it could be what you want. HD
has a 30 day no questions return policy so try something. There are
alot of brands out there, and alot of stuff thats not going to last,
Echo is a bit more money but its commercial quality of the highest
grade and it will be your last unit, they are made to be fixed unlike
other brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 6:57*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

I have a 4-cycle gas trimmer that works quite well. It's easy to
start and I don't have to keep oil-gas mix around just for it. I
bought the edger and a blower attachment for it that work quite well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

If those are your only choices, go gas. We have some people here on
a.h.r. with acreage who would advocate gas for everything. But for me,
the best choice was a corded unit. I did some reading of reviews online
and got a stihl for about $100. I can reach everything on 1/3 acre with
a 100' cord.

Gas tools need to be used often to make them worthwhile, and the
weedwacker doesn't fit that qualification in my case. The cord is less
hassle than the care and feeding of a gas engine that is infrequently
used.

I think you'd be disappointed with a cordless unit, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:57:32 -0400, desgnr wrote:

Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

Depends on how much weed-wackin you are going to do. If it's just
trimming grass along a walkway/driveway I'm happy using one of those
Black and Decker Grass Hog rechargeable trimmers. It has an automatic
charger that you just leave plugged in until you need to use it.
Automatic string feed also that actually works. I bought one to keep at
my mom's house so I didn't have to drag one of my gas trimmers with me
when I went to mow her lawn. Here at home I have a large wooded lot so a
gas trimmer was a better choice because of weeds and small tree seedlings
etc... My two gas blowers and trimmers are Echo. Only had a problem with
the backpack blower getting some crap in the carb. I was able to clean it
out myself. These are all around 7 years old now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 7:57*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Too many factors involved ( how much elect. cord do you have, are you
too old to even hold up a gas weedwhacker, how big an area do you plan
on weedwhackeing, do you know how to start one, do you even know how
to use one, and ect.) for anybody on here to make that decision for
you. Life must be a bitch when you can't make a decision as minor as
this one. Who runs your life on the important ****?

Hank ~~~thinks this world is in deep. deep trouble

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 9:01*am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:57:32 -0400, desgnr wrote:
Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

Depends on how much weed-wackin you are going to do. If it's just
trimming grass along a walkway/driveway I'm happy using one of those
Black and Decker Grass Hog rechargeable trimmers. It has an automatic
charger that you just leave plugged in until you need to use it.
Automatic string feed also that actually works. I bought one to keep at
my mom's house so I didn't have to drag one of my gas trimmers with me
when I went to mow her lawn. Here at home I have a large wooded lot so a
gas trimmer was a better choice because of weeds and small tree seedlings
etc... My two gas blowers and trimmers are Echo. Only had a problem with
the backpack blower getting some crap in the carb. I was able to clean it
out myself. These are all around 7 years old now.

Do yourself a favor and test your battery to get long life out of it.
If that battery is warm, above say 75f in a 70f room, its overcharging
and cooking the battery to an earleir death, another better test is
voltage, take it off the charger when charged, very quickly put a good
digital meter on it that registers .01v if you see it drop in 30
seconds and continue to see it drop over minutes, it in in fact being
overcharged and cooking the battery from over voltage. B&D is famous
for this on all older " leave them in the charger" tools Ive seen. 2
methods I know of are used to detect peak charge, and immediatly stop
the charger, one is voltage drop that is where the voltage peaks then
drops maybe .10 v and is accurate. The second is a temp sensor that
detects a hot battery then stops the charge, its not so good. A room
temp battery is what you want , even in usage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

Hand clippers with a long handle would work as good as a cordless.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Which weedwacker would be the best choice,Coordless or Gas Powered ?

Get one high quality corded WITH heavy cord, and one high quality gas/oil
mix, like Shindaiwa. Never look back.

Steve

Weed Wacker: using it tipped 90 degrees hobbes Home Repair 8 October 21st 07 12:53 PM
Weed Wacker MLD Home Repair 11 July 21st 06 11:01 PM
weed wacker Sacramento Dave Home Repair 5 May 13th 06 02:13 PM
Weed Wacker/trimmer Questions Robert11 Home Repair 1 June 11th 05 06:42 PM
Weed Wacker Grass Trimmers ? Robert11 Home Ownership 0 June 11th 05 06:34 PM