Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Meter installation ?

I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

I can't answer your question, but they do make remote reading meters. I
had one long ago and outside there was a little odometer looking thing
on the wall. Made things easy for the meter reader. Hell, now my
electric meter is read from the power company office. A computer pings
my meter and gets a reading.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 10:30*am, Tony wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. *Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. *I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

I can't answer your question, but they do make remote reading meters. *I
had one long ago and outside there was a little odometer looking thing
on the wall. *Made things easy for the meter reader. *Hell, now my
electric meter is read from the power company office. *A computer pings
my meter and gets a reading.

I know. But they are not cheap. An ordinary brass water meter is
about $40 or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

It makes no difference. The water will flip right side up going through
the pipe.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the meter is sideways, will the water go sideways out of the
faucets? Instead of down into the sink?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways
instead
of on the top. I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

It makes no difference. The water will flip right side up going
through
the pipe.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 9:09*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. *Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. *I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

You'll need to read the manufacturer's instructions. It could be, eg,
that the face needs to be up so that sediment doesn't built up in the
works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 10:09*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. *Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. *I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

If you have to install it so that the head of the meter faces up,
which is the way most every water meter I have ever seen has
been installed, and you are not able to do that in the space
you want to install the meter in, then the solution is simple...

Install the meter the proper way where you have space that
permits this and run pipes to and from that location to the
feeder and the metered side of the water line you want to
measure with the meter...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

If you HAVE to install it face up, also install a small vanity mirror.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 10:51*pm, Evan wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:09*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be
installed horizontally. *Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead
of on the top. *I want to put the meter on a line that is under some
joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

If you have to install it so that the head of the meter faces up,
which is the way most every water meter I have ever seen has
been installed, and you are not able to do that in the space
you want to install the meter in, then the solution is simple...

Install the meter the proper way where you have space that
permits this and run pipes to and from that location to the
feeder and the metered side of the water line you want to
measure with the meter...

~~ Evan

I just wanted to avoid complicating the plumbing more that needed.
All the installation instructions I have found say face up so I guess
I'll add some elbows and pipe to the plan.