Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?

wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:52:15 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Jul 26, 9:22 am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/26/2010 9:01 AM, ransley wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:10 pm, wrote:
I hate gas mowers/trimmers:
1. They are noisy, the trimmers can drive one crazy trying to sleep in
on a saturday morning
2. They pollute
3. They are +20x more expensive to operate than electric
4. They never start reliably
5. Always out of gas
The extra few minutes dealing with an ext cord are no big deal
What I want is a V8 mower.
here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LXFSLK3otM

--
Steve Barker

Ive been viewing that clip, just the sound is enough to make me want
one, it sure would make grass cutting fun, then I would need a V8
snowblower,

Guy here in Kitchener/Waterloo a few years back had a Jimmy 6-71 in
the bed of his Chevy 4X4, hydraulically driving a twin-beater McKee
blower mounted on the front. Now THAT sucker would blow snow!!! (and
wake up the neighbours for a few blocks). Ever hear a blown 6-71 whine
through a short (muffled) stack???

My old neighbor put a Cummins Diesel 2 stroke in his little truck
without much a a muffler. Talk about loud! I must say I was happy when
it cracked a head and he sold it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:04:26 -0700 (PDT), "Hustlin' Hank"
wrote:

On Jul 25, 9:10*pm, Mat wrote:
I hate gas mowers/trimmers:

1. They are noisy, the trimmers can drive one crazy trying to sleep in
on a saturday morning

How else can you get even with your neighbor with the yappy ass dog
barking all night?

..22LR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:15:14 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

"Mat" wrote in message
I hate gas mowers/trimmers:

1. They are noisy, the trimmers can drive one crazy trying to sleep in
on a saturday morning
2. They pollute
3. They are +20x more expensive to operate than electric
4. They never start reliably
5. Always out of gas

I use these early on a Saturday morning to get even with the neighbors who
played loud music all night Friday when I was trying to sleep!

A 7AM mower start is a good response to a 3AM party break-up.

As to starting trouble, get a Stihl or a commercial model the gardener's
use. These always start easily for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2010 8:53 PM, Mat wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:51:14 -0400, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

wrote in message
news
I hate gas mowers/trimmers:

1. They are noisy, the trimmers can drive one crazy trying to sleep in
on a saturday morning
2. They pollute
3. They are +20x more expensive to operate than electric
4. They never start reliably
5. Always out of gas

The extra few minutes dealing with an ext cord are no big deal

Please share with us what lot size you have. Would you recommend this for
someone with 3 to 5 acres?

7000 sqft, of course not. I should have qualified the post. Also, we have
clean hydro electric generated power here.

You may be "closest" to hydro power. But believe me the grid is one big
system. If you're using power, you're burning coal, using hydro,
burning natural gas AND using nukes

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't they have mowers with battery packs now? I would consider
getting one as I have a smaller(not tiny) yard. I also used a corded
mower for a while and could sling extension cords like a cowboy.

I went to a gas mower because it took to long messing with the cord. I
use a battery powered trimmer and it takes 2 packs to complete the
yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use gas powered because I like the uden uden sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gosh, doesn't everyone? Just have to remember to fill the kettle and
clamp it down tight before you light the fire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ktos" wrote in message
Everyone should use a wood burning trimmer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:59:05 +0000, ktos wrote:
Everyone should use a wood burning trimmer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2010 1:59 AM, ktos wrote:
Everyone should use a wood burning trimmer.

personally, i use a 4stroke gas, and only restring it once a year and
only fill it with gas twice a year.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I remember correctly, it was Stormin Mormon who reccomended wood
burning string trimmers. Be sure to fill the kettle with water each
time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 7/30/2010 1:59 AM, ktos wrote:
Everyone should use a wood burning trimmer.

personally, i use a 4stroke gas, and only restring it once a year and
only fill it with gas twice a year.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:10:05 GMT, Mat wrote:

I hate gas mowers/trimmers:

1. They are noisy, the trimmers can drive one crazy trying to sleep in
on a saturday morning
2. They pollute
3. They are +20x more expensive to operate than electric
4. They never start reliably
5. Always out of gas

The extra few minutes dealing with an ext cord are no big deal

If I went to electric it would take me 2X as long. My gas engines are
very reliable and gas stations are nearby.