Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sidewalk settles, basement getting water

There is a sidewalk along the side of my house. It has settled in an
area maybe 40 feet long so that it no longer pitches away from the
house but rather towards it. I get a small amount of seepage. The
basement is finished, but in my utility room which is partially
finished, i see water trickle to a floor drain from the basement wall
during heavy rains. There is sometimes dampness in a closet down
there, but nothing major ever.

I know the obvious and proper way to fix this is to rip out the
sidewalk and repour. This would be quite expensive as there is also a
fence attached to the concrete sidewalk and the working space is
tight.

I am wondering if there is anything less drastic than replacing a 40
long sidewalk to ease the problem. i think pouring on top of the
existing concrete (to make it slope the right way) would probably just
break off (I am in a climate that freezes). I am wondering if using
caulk or something like that on the small gap between the foundation
and the sidewalk would help any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 5:56*pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
What kind of fence and how is it attached to thesidewalk? *As thesidewalk
started settling and pitching toward the house, did the fence also start to
tilt toward the house?

Someone mentioned mud jacking, which may be an option. *But, depending on
the fence situation, mud jacking may also move the fence at the same time..

I don't know the cost of replacing sidewalks these days, but about 5 years
ago it was about $100 per 4'x4' square to have an existingsidewalkremoved
and repoured. *I assume it is more now, but you may want to get a few
estimates.

If you don't fix the problem, the water damage could get worse and maybe
leave you with an expensive mold problem.

But, again, things like how the fence is attached to thesidewalketc. may
make a big difference in terms of what you can do and what it may cost.

"Michael Cortese" wrote in message

[...]

the fence is 6 foot wood panels attached to metal posts. The metal
post appear to go into the sidewalk, but I the sidewalk was poured
afterwards as post holes here have to be at least 3 feet deep due to
the frost. I guess I am saying the sidewalk butts the post on 3
sides, and isn't in the same concrete, but breaking the sidewalk would
have to be done carefully around the fence posts.

The fence has not moved at all. That side of the sidewalk did not
settle.

I have heard mixed things on mud jacking. Also, I tried to get some
estimates, but it is hard to find people that do that. I think due to
the scarcity, the price is high.There are tons of people that pour
concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 10:41*am, Michael Cortese wrote:
On Jul 23, 5:56*pm, "Jay-T" wrote:

[...]

concrete.- Hide quoted text -

I'd guess it would be labor intensive to mudjack a sidewalk. Some
pictures would probably help people come up with ideas.