mel

Default Ater the dust settles

It's done... The flaws that I can see and know about seem to go
unnoticed by others. My first attempt at a chair, a high chair to be more
specific, stands waiting for the finishing. I've been in construction all
my life. Trim carpentry is one thing. Wood working is another. This is my
first attempt at what I consider to be a fine piece of furniture. Angled
mortise and tenon joints pegged with contrasting wood. Tapered legs, carved
saddle, curves and angles all coming together as planed. I'm enjoying the
sense of accomplishment. All you more experienced think back to that first
piece...remember how it felt? Does it still feel that way?

mel

before anyone comments on the obvious that would be a "piece" of furniture

Silvan

mel wrote:

enjoying the sense of accomplishment. All you more experienced think back
to that first piece...remember how it felt? Does it still feel that way?

I don't really build much in the way of furniture. It's big, complicated,
expensive, and I don't have any place to put it anyway.

So, bearing that in mind, the answer is yes. I get that little bit of
elation at the end of just about every "serious" project. So far it's
because every project is that much better than the last one. I find fewer
things to try to avoid looking at, more things to catch the eye and make me
proud that I got them right...

I figure when this stops it's time to take up a new hobby.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry C in Auburn, WA

She was a fine piece she was. Yes, I remember her well. Nice curves, and
just beautiful. I loved to run my hands all over her.

As far as your question goes, I haven't made hundreds of pieces yet, but
maybe 10+/-. I still get a great sense of achievement and satisfaction.
For me it comes in two parts. The first thrill is very personal and is the
feeling that "damn, that looks nice and I made it". In other words it comes
from within. The second stage comes when other people see it and say "damn,
that looks nice, you made that???"

Oh yeah, the first piece mentioned above was an end table.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"mel" wrote in message
news
It's done... The flaws that I can see and know about seem to go
unnoticed by others. My first attempt at a chair, a high chair to be more
specific, stands waiting for the finishing. I've been in construction all
my life. Trim carpentry is one thing. Wood working is another. This is

my
first attempt at what I consider to be a fine piece of furniture. Angled
mortise and tenon joints pegged with contrasting wood. Tapered legs,

carved
saddle, curves and angles all coming together as planed. I'm enjoying the
sense of accomplishment. All you more experienced think back to that first
piece...remember how it felt? Does it still feel that way?

Paul macintyre

----------
In article , "mel"
wrote:

It's done... The flaws that I can see and know about seem to go
unnoticed by others. My first attempt at a chair, a high chair to be more
specific, stands waiting for the finishing. I've been in construction all
my life. Trim carpentry is one thing. Wood working is another.

I'm a refugee from construction also, what I enjoy about my woodworking is
not having to make schedule induced compromises.

This is my
first attempt at what I consider to be a fine piece of furniture. Angled
mortise and tenon joints pegged with contrasting wood. Tapered legs, carved
saddle, curves and angles all coming together as planed. I'm enjoying the
sense of accomplishment. All you more experienced think back to that first
piece...remember how it felt? Does it still feel that way?

I haven't produced any fine furniture yet but I've made some pretty cool
kayaks. I find each project to have it's own challenges to overcome, I
definitely enjoy the process more than the final product. I always see room
for improvement.

Paul

Dust Collection Bob Davis Woodworking 13 January 3rd 04 10:38 PM
What dust collectors are really for LP Woodworking 50 December 20th 03 04:43 PM
6" dust collection pipes Bob Davis Woodworking 16 November 26th 03 12:59 AM
Dust Extraction for small workshop Matt Helliwell UK diy 35 September 24th 03 10:20 AM