Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement windows or new storms and screens?

We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows. They
are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

You need to do an economic analysis.
Cost versus payback.
Also, replacing entire windows could be a big pain in terms of mess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 9:07*pm, LouB wrote:
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows. *
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

You need to do an economic analysis.
Cost versus payback.
Also, replacing entire windows could be a big pain in terms of mess.- Hide quoted text -

I had all my steel casement windows replaced 20+ years ago. no mess no
hassle at all.

BRAND NEW windows will increase home value the most
Posted to alt.home.repair

Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Hi,
You left out one thing. where do you live?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Replace with vinyl replacements of the E squared energy star efficient
type. Cheaper cost and larger return. Also reduces your heating/air
conditioning costs.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 13, 8:46*pm, " wrote:
On Jul 13, 9:07*pm, LouB wrote:

Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.. *
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

You need to do an economic analysis.
Cost versus payback.
Also, replacing entire windows could be a big pain in terms of mess.- Hide quoted text -

I had all my steel casement windows replaced 20+ years ago. no mess no
hassle at all.

BRAND NEW windows will increase home value the most

Go for cheap, storms and screens. With the housing market getting more
and more depressed, you would not be likely to recover any large part
of a window investment for a number of years. Keep the present windows
painted and tidy and the potential buyers will be just as happy not
having to pay a higher price for your house based on your upgrades.
Same thing with kitchen fads and the like.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:41*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Hi,
You left out one thing. where do you live?

Didja miss the part where he told you where he lived, twice?

Username: "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"
Last Line In post: "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"

There's only one Sloatsburg that I know of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 9:01*pm, "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"
wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows. *They
are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

"Are there any other options that I am missing?"

Yeah: Move now! g

One major advantage of VRW that most people don't bring up is the
convenience.

We like to open our windows when it's nice out - year round - but
obviously we want them closed when we use the AC or heat.

For maximum efficiency, not only should the windows be closed but the
storms should down also. It was really a pain to open and close the
old triple track storms, especially while reaching over a desk or bed.

With VRW, it's a one handed operation - so easy that there's no
hesitation when deciding to open/close the windows.

Even if you are moving in 3 - 7 years, that's a lot of "convenience"
to think about.

If you're handy, you can get a good price on windows at a contractor's
supply house and save a huge amount of money by doing them yourself -
and at your own pace. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2010 10:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 13, 10:41 pm, Tony wrote:
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Hi,
You left out one thing. where do you live?

Didja miss the part where he told you where he lived, twice?

Username: "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"
Last Line In post: "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"

There's only one Sloatsburg that I know of.

And that is in NY.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2010 8:01 PM, Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

And don't forget that if you get new Energy Star
windows installed this year you can take 30%, up to
$1500, of the cost of the windows, but not installation,
off of your income tax. I replaced mine last spring
and will get about a $700 reduction in my income tax
for this year. Plus the savings in energy, and the
convenience of being able to open and close windows.
I even started cleaning my windows quarterly. Not
something I looked forward to with storm windows.
There is also one item that isn't mentioned much, but
I noticed it. I live near a freeway. The freeway
noise is a lot lower with the new windows.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 8:01*pm, "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"
wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows. *They
are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Storms do little to stop air infiltration, that where the new window
makes a big difference. Easlly 40% of a windows energy savings can be
air leakage. Windows are rated by air infiltration as well as maybe 6
other parameters. www.energystar.gov is a good place to start
learning, learn facts of a window before talking to any salesbsmen.
When I was shopping windows I enjoyed pointing out their bs lies on
what they pushed. The independant testing of various parameters is
what you need to understand, Vlt, Cdf, U and R value, Glazing types,
Shg, air infiltration, are how windows are compared, if your area is
windy air infiltration is important, if it gets real cold -f and you
humidify CDF is critical and Pella do poorly. Windows are a big
decision and big business with lost of junk and warrantys companies
never honor because the fine print allows them to many outs, so
research it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:41 pm, Tony *wrote:
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows..
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Hi,
You left out one thing. where do you live?

Didja miss the part where he told you where he lived, twice?

Username: "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"
Last Line In post: *"Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"

There's only one Sloatsburg that I know of.

And that is in NY.

Don- Hide quoted text -

Oh come on...you're making it too easy for Mr. Hwang. g
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Replace with vinyl replacements of the E squared energy star efficient
type. Cheaper cost and larger return. Also reduces your heating/air
conditioning costs.

I had to buy vinyl replacements to get the $1500 fed tax credit. They're
cheaper too. They look really nice too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:45*pm, "JimT" wrote:
"LSMFT" wrote in message

Confuzzled in Sloatsburg wrote:
We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows.
They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl
Replacing with wood
Replacing JUST the storms and screens
Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!!
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Replace with vinyl replacements of the E squared energy star efficient
type. Cheaper cost and larger return. Also reduces your heating/air
conditioning costs.

I had to buy vinyl replacements to get the $1500 fed tax credit. They're
cheaper too. They look really nice too.

What are the trade-offs between vinyl and wood replacement windows? I
know vinyl is cheaper and needs no painting. I also know from a
friend's experience that in a fire they can melt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ivan" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 12:45 pm, "JimT" wrote:
"LSMFT" wrote in message

[...]

====

Ya know, there are probably better answers on the web or from other posters.
We went with vinyl for the tax credit. We originally wanted aluminum, for
the style of the house, but the price was too high and the salesman talked
us into the vinyl.

My guess would be in a fire, compared to wood, there wouldn't be too much
difference. The wood ones would be more kindling. I'm pretty sure the vinyl
were the most energy efficient for the money. They are guaranteed from
defect for the life of the house (or us?) with a ten year transferable
warranty too.

The vinyl's look is somewhat similar to wood. Problem is you're stuck with
the mfg. colors and the darker the color the more expensive. But the ones we
had installed look really nice so I'm pleased with the appearance anyway. We
got as dark as we could. I've seen some of the lighter vinyl's in our
neighborhood and they just don't look right. The ones we got (Don Young
Windows/Doors, Dallas TX) have a faux wood grain too that looks nice. Great
installers and VERY resonable installation price. $85/window (install not
the window) and I talked him into a $85/window regardless of the size so he
did triple windows for the price of a single. Single story 1700 sf for less
than $4k. I've still got a couple to go so I don't know the exact price but
it will be less than $4k. But for $85 bucks a window it just didn't make any
since to do it myself.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:10*pm, Ivan wrote:
On Jul 14, 12:45*pm, "JimT" wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote in message

[...]

friend's experience that in a fire they can melt.- Hide quoted text -

Some flex, cant hold a window AC, are not approved for apartments
here. I wonder about painting, wood should insulate better and
aluminum doesnt insulate, im sure there are more reasons to compare.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 3:02*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jul 14, 12:10*pm, Ivan wrote:

On Jul 14, 12:45*pm, "JimT" wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote in message

[...]

aluminum doesnt insulate, im sure there are more reasons to compare.- Hide quoted text -

I had window units in my vinyl windows for many years till I got a new
furnace with air a few years ago. It never caused a problem and one
was a 240 volt unit 12K BTU that cooled most of the downstairs.

the vinyl ones have been in near 20 years and look fine no painting in
all that time the metal casements were terrible.

unfortunately the company that made the vinyl windows went out of
business and parts like lift mechanisms are hard to get...........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:10*pm, Ivan wrote:

On Jul 14, 12:45*pm, "JimT" wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote in message

[...]

"cant hold a window AC"

Why not? (Serious question)

Here's why I ask:

I've haven't had to use a window AC with my VRW because I had central
air installed prior to the windows, but I used to use window AC units
when I had wooden windows with triple track aluminum storms. I always
had to build up the sills and support the units inside and out because
of the frame for the storms.

Why wouldn't I be able to rig something up to use a window unit with
my VRW, similar to what I did with my old windows?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:10*pm, Ivan wrote:

On Jul 14, 12:45*pm, "JimT" wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote in message

[...]

my VRW, similar to what I did with my old windows?- Hide quoted text -

you should supprt window AC both inside and outside, just dont rest
all its weight on the edge of vinyl window
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:10*pm, Ivan wrote:

On Jul 14, 12:45*pm, "JimT" wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote in message

[...]

business and parts like lift mechanisms are hard to get...........- Hide quoted text -

Building code for apartments where I am wont allow it for strength
reasons, they are flimsy compared to alumimum