Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Fence Post

A friend helped me install a 42 inch vinyl gate and panel. It is 6'
tall, and it is a privacy gate which makes it heavier. The panel is not
very wide - about three lengths. Most of the structure is the gate, as
it is a small area.

We filled the post with the hinges on it completely full of concrete, as
this is where most of the weight will be.

Do you recommend putting concrete on the post that the latch is on?
I was also thinking of just filling it with rocks.

What does everyone recommend?

Many thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 9:18*pm, Kate wrote:
A friend helped me install a 42 inch vinyl gate and panel. It is 6'
tall, and it is a privacy gate which makes it heavier. The panel is not
very wide - about three lengths. *Most of the structure is the gate, as
it is a small area.

We filled the post with the hinges on it completely full of concrete, as
this is where most of the weight will be.

Do you recommend putting concrete on the post that the latch is on?
I was also thinking of just filling it with rocks.

What does everyone recommend?

Many thanks.

Kate

Rocks and sand as long as the bottom is closed so it can't leak out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
A friend helped me install a 42 inch vinyl gate and panel. It is 6' tall,
and it is a privacy gate which makes it heavier. The panel is not very
wide - about three lengths. Most of the structure is the gate, as it is a
small area.

We filled the post with the hinges on it completely full of concrete, as
this is where most of the weight will be.

Do you recommend putting concrete on the post that the latch is on?
I was also thinking of just filling it with rocks.

What does everyone recommend?

Many thanks.

Kate

I'd recommend following the manufactures recommendations / instructions for
how to handle these posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 7:18*pm, Kate wrote:
A friend helped me install a 42 inch vinyl gate and panel. It is 6'
tall, and it is a privacy gate which makes it heavier. The panel is not
very wide - about three lengths. *Most of the structure is the gate, as
it is a small area.

We filled the post with the hinges on it completely full of concrete, as
this is where most of the weight will be.

Do you recommend putting concrete on the post that the latch is on?
I was also thinking of just filling it with rocks.

What does everyone recommend?

Many thanks.

Kate

Correct me if I’m wrong but are you saying the stationary post with
the hinges is vinyl?

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jul 13, 9:20*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jul 12, 7:18*pm, Kate wrote:

A friend helped me install a 42 inch vinyl gate and panel. It is 6'
tall, and it is a privacy gate which makes it heavier. The panel is not
very wide - about three lengths. *Most of the structure is the gate, as
it is a small area.

We filled the post with the hinges on it completely full of concrete, as
this is where most of the weight will be.

Do you recommend putting concrete on the post that the latch is on?
I was also thinking of just filling it with rocks.

What does everyone recommend?

Many thanks.

Kate

Correct me if I’m wrong but are you saying the stationary post with
the hinges is vinyl?- Hide quoted text -

Would these posts be decorative only? My neighbour slipped these over
his pressure treated 4x4's on his low front fence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 4:08 AM, jim wrote:
On Jul 13, 9:20 pm, Molly wrote:
On Jul 12, 7:18 pm, wrote:

A friend helped me install a 42 inch vinyl gate and panel. It is 6'
tall, and it is a privacy gate which makes it heavier. The panel is not
very wide - about three lengths. Most of the structure is the gate, as
it is a small area.

We filled the post with the hinges on it completely full of concrete, as
this is where most of the weight will be.

Do you recommend putting concrete on the post that the latch is on?
I was also thinking of just filling it with rocks.

What does everyone recommend?

Many thanks.

Kate

Correct me if I’m wrong but are you saying the stationary post with
the hinges is vinyl?- Hide quoted text -

Would these posts be decorative only? My neighbour slipped these over
his pressure treated 4x4's on his low front fence.

They are decorative, but they also serve an important purpose.
The gates hinges are screwed onto the post to the left, and the
gate lock is on the right post. Right now, the post on the left is
filled with concrete from top to bottom. I know this is important as
that post carries most of the weight of the gate. I was just curious
about the right post.

Thanks.