Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Switch for disposal

In looking homes, I've begun to see what they call air or
pneumatic switches to control disposals. In almost all instances,
these have been mounted vertically in the cabinet tops, toward the
side of the faucet. I don't know if code now requires this type
of switch or whether it's now just in vogue. I can see some
slight safety gain in not having an electrical connection near the
sink and can see some added convenience by having it close to the
faucet.

My concern is that in the ones I've tried, there is quite a bit of
clearance between the button itself and the housing. The
resulting void around the button would surely become a mess when a
soapy finger would press the button. Have any of you used this
type of on/off switch for your disposal and how do you keep it
clean and not let it get gunked up? Are they reliable?

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nonny wrote:
[...]

I have had one in my kitchen for about 6 years and it just does not get
dirty if you make sure that your hands are not all wet and soapy when you
push the button. It allowed me to install a garbage disposal without
rewiring the wall for a switch. I was able to use the outlet under the sink
that the dishwasher was hooked to to connect the other end of the air
switch. It has two outlets on it. Mine is set up so that in one position one
outlet of the connector is hot, then when you push it it switches to
another. This allows you to put a garbage disposal on one plug and a hot
water dispenser on the other if you want to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ROANIN" wrote in message

Nonny wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I never considered a double pole type of system, but
that would be handy.

Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote

My concern is that in the ones I've tried, there is quite a bit of
clearance between the button itself and the housing. The resulting void
around the button would surely become a mess when a soapy finger would
press the button. Have any of you used this type of on/off switch for
your disposal and how do you keep it clean and not let it get gunked up?
Are they reliable?

If you are doing a new install, get the model disposal with integrated
switch. No special wiring needed, nothing to get gunked up.