Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insinkerator 17-55 Batch Garbage Disposal Switch Failure

This unit is very slow to shut off, as if the switch sticks.
An appliance parts website shows a kit with what appears
to be a microswitch. I expected that the switch would be
magnetic and sealed. Or is there a magnetically-activated
piston which activates the microswitch? A word about
theory would be very helpful to me.
Since nothing appears to be sealed, I would assume
the switch assembly might be repairable, perhaps by
cleaning??? The kit is over $40!
Help much appreciated!
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"frank1492" wrote in message
This unit is very slow to shut off, as if the switch sticks.
An appliance parts website shows a kit with what appears
to be a microswitch. I expected that the switch would be
magnetic and sealed. Or is there a magnetically-activated
piston which activates the microswitch? A word about
theory would be very helpful to me.
Since nothing appears to be sealed, I would assume
the switch assembly might be repairable, perhaps by
cleaning??? The kit is over $40!
Help much appreciated!
Frank

It is a pushrod that is mechanically pushed in to activate a microswitch
when you rotate the cover. It apparently gets gunky and will start to stick
Mine stuck in the on position and was slow to shutoff.
You can feel it and push it in with your finger. I put some cleaner (forgot
which one--WD-40 or a Silicone spray) on a tooth brush and worked on the
switch from inside the disposal. It worked for a while and then I had to
repeat the cleaning, eventually I got a replacement switch assembly from one
of their service shops. Didn't pay because it just made it under the
warranty. Was an easy replacement.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I couldn't seem to find the pushrod, but I will look again.
If the end of the rod doesn't have a boot or something I would
think the rod would get gummy all the time due to water
splashing in.
Thank you! Will report back!

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:24:14 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found it. I think I will take the cover off the switch and see if
I can extract the pushrod from the outside. Ought to be easier to
give it a more thorough cleaning that way.i

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 00:44:22 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

I couldn't seem to find the pushrod, but I will look again.
If the end of the rod doesn't have a boot or something I would
think the rod would get gummy all the time due to water
splashing in.
Thank you! Will report back!

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:24:14 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

. ..