Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny[_2_] Nonny[_2_] is offline

Default Air Switch for disposal

In looking homes, I've begun to see what they call air or
pneumatic switches to control disposals. In almost all instances,
these have been mounted vertically in the cabinet tops, toward the
side of the faucet. I don't know if code now requires this type
of switch or whether it's now just in vogue. I can see some
slight safety gain in not having an electrical connection near the
sink and can see some added convenience by having it close to the
faucet.

My concern is that in the ones I've tried, there is quite a bit of
clearance between the button itself and the housing. The
resulting void around the button would surely become a mess when a
soapy finger would press the button. Have any of you used this
type of on/off switch for your disposal and how do you keep it
clean and not let it get gunked up? Are they reliable?

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth