Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

"Smarty" wrote in message
As grandparents, my wife and I do frequent toddler babysitting.

The kitchen cabinets, drawers, and other compartments are very tempting
for our grand-daughter to investigate. We are looking for a way to keep
this closed and inaccessible to a young child, while still allowing
adults to easily open and close the doors and drawers.

Unlike 30 years ago when our own children were toddlers, we now have
very high quality custom cabinetry and drawers, and do NOT want to
drill or attach any fasteners which deface or damage the cabinets /
doors. The fasteners were used 30 years ago required drilling holes
into both the doors and the cabinets in order to attach the plastic
latches. This is NOT an option for our current cabinets.

Does anybody know of any device or fastener or method which provides a
secure and reliable latch to children, easy access to adults, and easy
removal without leaving any permanent damage to the custom cabinetry?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and suggestions.

Here's a novel concept. You claim to be babysitting, SO DO IT! Don't just
turn the brat loose while you doze off in the rocker. You're way too senile
to take on responsibility of watching lil ones. Those kids should be taken
from the parents, for letting you watch them. Then, the parents should be
sterilized, they're also too irresponsible for having kids.

Just worry about changing your own damn diaper!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ktos" wrote in message
"Jimbo" wrote in
:

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Jimbo, did you have too much beer?

Not enough! A few more & I'll really let the old goat have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimbo wrote:

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Jimbo,
Here's a novel concept. Go **** yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ktos wrote:

"Jimbo" wrote in
:

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, it sounds like too little brains. His solution to reinforcing
a cabinet latch is to sterilize people. A sheer touch of genius at work
here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimbo wrote:

"ktos" wrote in message
... "Jimbo"
wrote in
:

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

The "old goat" you refer to is in his early 60's, and will leave you
panting like a dog in heat on the racket ball court. You are entirely
rude and also entirely ill-informed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
Jimbo wrote:

"ktos" wrote in message
... "Jimbo"
wrote in
:

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Baaaaaahhhhh, you old goat. Go have someone wipe the slobber of your chin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
Jimbo wrote:

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Ya lazy old fart, can't control the grandkids, and now you think you're
gonna control Usenet. LOL... You're more senile than what you first came
across.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deleted unnecessarily nasty responses

[...]

We did a little investigating for our own home, back when we
became grandparents, and there's not a lot out there. You
probably already know that. Everyone seems to sell the
door-mounted nylon restraints that screw to the inside of the
doors. You open the doors a couple inches, then depress the nylon
arm to open them the rest of the way. We didn't mind the extra
couple holes in the door, so I went that route.

You might consider trying one and using the screw holding the door
knob in place to hold the base to the door. I've not tried that,
but it might work, even if you have to make your own base
extension for the nylon base. You could mount the factory unit to
1/8" plywood using flat head machine screws and nuts, then drill
the plywood and insert the knob screw with a washer on it, through
the plywood.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimbo wrote:

Baaaaaahhhhh, you old goat. Go have someone wipe the slobber of your
chin.

Baaaaaahhhhh, you young goat.

I think you meant to say "wipe the slobber off your chin", but not
entirely sure.

If that is what you intended to say, I'll wipe the slobber off my chin
if you'll wipe the splooge off of yours........