Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help please: cutting styrofoam sheets

Zz Yzx wrote:
My shop has a steel roll-up "garage" door that faces a blistering sun
for several hrs/day. I'm determined to insulate it. The easiest way
I see is to slap some styrofoam shhet insulation onto it.

I can get 4' X 8' sheets at Big-Box for a good-enouhg price, but need
to trim the sheets down to ~ 44" X 22" to fit into the recesses of the
door.

What's the best way to cut 1-1/2" or 2" styrofoam sheets? I don't
have a "hot wire" cutting tool.

Use a very sharp thin long knife blade with a smooth low angle slicing motion.
You have to slice it smoothly in several passes. Flexing the foam to open the
cut slightly on later passes will help ease the knife passage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Zz Yzx wrote:
My shop has a steel roll-up "garage" door that faces a blistering sun
for several hrs/day. I'm determined to insulate it. The easiest way
I see is to slap some styrofoam shhet insulation onto it.

I can get 4' X 8' sheets at Big-Box for a good-enouhg price, but need
to trim the sheets down to ~ 44" X 22" to fit into the recesses of the
door.

What's the best way to cut 1-1/2" or 2" styrofoam sheets? I don't
have a "hot wire" cutting tool.

Use a very sharp thin long knife blade with a smooth low angle slicing
motion. You have to slice it smoothly in several passes. Flexing the foam
to open the cut slightly on later passes will help ease the knife passage.

I was told that an electric carving knife would work well on the blue foam
board. I bought one at a good will and it does cut it cleanly but it is
pretty slow. Will probably just use it for trimming and build a hot knife.

LJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roanin" wrote in
:

"Bob F" wrote in message
Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

maybe he could RENT a hot wire cutting tool?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roanin wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

I tried one once, and quickly went back to the sharp thin bladed knife.