Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help please: cutting styrofoam sheets

On 7/3/2010 6:09 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
My shop has a steel roll-up "garage" door that faces a blistering sun
for several hrs/day. I'm determined to insulate it. The easiest way
I see is to slap some styrofoam shhet insulation onto it.

I can get 4' X 8' sheets at Big-Box for a good-enouhg price, but need
to trim the sheets down to ~ 44" X 22" to fit into the recesses of the
door.

What's the best way to cut 1-1/2" or 2" styrofoam sheets? I don't
have a "hot wire" cutting tool.

Thanks a heap,
--Zz

Well, I don't see where any one else has mentioned it, so
do what I did. I used my Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool.
That's the Fein MultiMaster knock off. You should be able
to find a coupon to get it for $35. It does a great job and
is available for a great many other jobs, since it really
is a multifunction tool. It makes a little fine dust but
there isn't any massive clean up required after you finish
with the door.

By the way. You will probably need to cut each of the
insert pieces in 2 so they will fit inside the channels around
the side of the door panels. I suggest that you cut them
on an approximate 45 degree angle. That way you can slip
one half in, then the other and they will fit without
having to be forced.

Bill