Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Help please: cutting styrofoam sheets

Zz Yzx wrote:
My shop has a steel roll-up "garage" door that faces a blistering sun
for several hrs/day. I'm determined to insulate it. The easiest way
I see is to slap some styrofoam shhet insulation onto it.

I can get 4' X 8' sheets at Big-Box for a good-enouhg price, but need
to trim the sheets down to ~ 44" X 22" to fit into the recesses of the
door.

What's the best way to cut 1-1/2" or 2" styrofoam sheets? I don't
have a "hot wire" cutting tool.

Use a very sharp thin long knife blade with a smooth low angle slicing motion.
You have to slice it smoothly in several passes. Flexing the foam to open the
cut slightly on later passes will help ease the knife passage.