Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? on sewer snakes...

How large in diameter is the coil on the end of the large sewer snakes they
use to clear the main sewer lines, when necessary?

Just wondering. We had to get a cleanout installed, and the reinforced
concrete pipe they put in place is about two feet long, with a hole in the
cast iron pipe it sets on that is only a couple inches across. I am wanting
to build a guide to use for pointing the snake in the desired direction, so
no guessing is needed to figure out which way it is headed. Thinking that
might come in handy if the cleanout pipe is full of stuff from the cloggged
line.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 1, 1:35*pm, "Dave" wrote:
How large in diameter is the coil on the end of the large sewer snakes they
use to clear the main sewer lines, when necessary?

Just wondering. *We had to get a cleanout installed, and the reinforced
concrete pipe they put in place is about two feet long, with a hole in the
cast iron pipe it sets on that is only a couple inches across. *I am wanting
to build a guide to use for pointing the snake in the desired direction, so
no guessing is needed to figure out which way it is headed. *Thinking that
might come in handy if the cleanout pipe is full of stuff from the cloggged
line.

Thanks,

Dave

Best call city hall and ask them.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
How large in diameter is the coil on the end of the large sewer snakes
they use to clear the main sewer lines, when necessary?

Just wondering. We had to get a cleanout installed, and the reinforced
concrete pipe they put in place is about two feet long, with a hole in the
cast iron pipe it sets on that is only a couple inches across. I am
wanting to build a guide to use for pointing the snake in the desired
direction, so no guessing is needed to figure out which way it is headed.
Thinking that might come in handy if the cleanout pipe is full of stuff
from the cloggged line.

Thanks,

Dave

All of these numbers are for a machine you would use to clean a main line.
All of these parts are made in smaller sizes for smaller lines.

The cork-screw type sold with the drain machines is about 2". The blade
type used by the drain services is a U-shaped affair about 2.5" at the base.

There are also some solid metal auger points out there that are only a
1-1.5" across that are used for house lines. IMO these are the least
effective.

Anyone with minimum experience can make the snake go the way they want based
on how they insert the cable.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 11:35*am, "Dave" wrote:
How large in diameter is the coil on the end of the large sewer snakes they
use to clear the main sewer lines, when necessary?

Just wondering. *We had to get a cleanout installed, and the reinforced
concrete pipe they put in place is about two feet long, with a hole in the
cast iron pipe it sets on that is only a couple inches across. *I am wanting
to build a guide to use for pointing the snake in the desired direction, so
no guessing is needed to figure out which way it is headed. *Thinking that
might come in handy if the cleanout pipe is full of stuff from the cloggged
line.

Thanks,

Dave

You use a cutter head to clean out a main sewer line not a coil head.
Please elaborate on what you mean by “with a hole in the
cast iron pipe it sets on that is only a couple inches across” I don’t
understand.
Main sewer lines are usually 4” in diameter so you should not use
anything less than 3” if you want to do a good job.
Please elaborate on what you mean by “build a guide to use for
pointing the snake in the desired direction” I don’t understand.
You should not have any elbows when installing a sewer line. If you
have to make a turn you should use something called a “sweep” or
“turn” which is basically an elbow that forms a wide arc.
I wouldn’t worry about the clean-out line being “full of stuff from
the clogged line” but would worry about what stuff you have after the
clean out line if I were you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

====
[...]

Bottom line is we had to have a cleanout installed because whoever built the
house didn't put one in. So the local plumber dug down to the main line and
broke a hole in the top of the cast-iron pipe, then placed a reinforced
concrete pipe with lid over the hole and poured concrete around it. So
there is a two foot long concrete pipe sitting on top of the main line, with
a ragged hole at the bottom providing access to the main line. I am
thingkng that it will not be easy to tell which direction the snake chooses
to go in if the riser is full of sewege, and want to build a tool made of
PVC that has 45 degree couplings on each end, that can be lowered into the
cleanout pipe to nudge the snake in the desired direction. Hope this is a
little more clear. I am wondering how big the PVC pipe and couplings need
to be to handle a coil end, which is what the last guy who was out here
used. Am thinking I need to use 2.5 inch pipe and couplings. Will have to
try it and see how it works... The 45 degree couplings for the three inch
PVC pipe are two large to fit in the 4 inch hole of the cleanout.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 11:35 am, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

I think he should have put the cleanout at an angle. And if the
cleanout is to go both directions, install 2.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 11:35 am, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

He was supposed to cut out a section of the cast iron pipe and install
this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&n=228013&s=hi

in its place. He didn’t because he didn’t want to kill several hours
cutting cast iron which can be a b… since he couldn’t use a chain
type cutter because it’s an old pipe.

Snakes and a cat HeyBub Home Repair 3 August 23rd 06 06:40 PM
OT How to keep snakes at bay.... ~Roy Metalworking 45 May 17th 06 08:28 PM
OT - *Grass Snakes can be lethal* !! Cliff Metalworking 0 January 10th 06 07:57 PM
Careful when you "putter around" your yard! (Snakes nearly kill man) Dave T. Home Ownership 1 July 17th 05 02:42 PM
Removing snakes from an attic Michael Baugh Home Repair 0 June 24th 03 03:38 AM