Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default ? on sewer snakes...

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
How large in diameter is the coil on the end of the large sewer snakes
they use to clear the main sewer lines, when necessary?

Just wondering. We had to get a cleanout installed, and the reinforced
concrete pipe they put in place is about two feet long, with a hole in the
cast iron pipe it sets on that is only a couple inches across. I am
wanting to build a guide to use for pointing the snake in the desired
direction, so no guessing is needed to figure out which way it is headed.
Thinking that might come in handy if the cleanout pipe is full of stuff
from the cloggged line.

Thanks,

Dave

All of these numbers are for a machine you would use to clean a main line.
All of these parts are made in smaller sizes for smaller lines.

The cork-screw type sold with the drain machines is about 2". The blade
type used by the drain services is a U-shaped affair about 2.5" at the base.

There are also some solid metal auger points out there that are only a
1-1.5" across that are used for house lines. IMO these are the least
effective.

Anyone with minimum experience can make the snake go the way they want based
on how they insert the cable.

--
Colbyt