Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor light problem

I have 3 lights on 1 switch.
It operates a light at the front door & a light on the garage & a light on a
pole at the end of my walkway.

The light on the pole won't light, YES the bulb is good.

How can i find out what is wrong since all 3 lights are on the same switch
in the house next to my front door.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 8:43*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I have 3 lights on 1 switch.
It operates a light at the front door & a light on the garage & a light on a
pole at the end of my walkway.

The light on the pole won't light, YES the bulb is good.

How can i find out what is wrong since all 3 lights are on the same switch
in the house next to my front door.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

I've had bulb sockets that didn't work because the little tab at the
bottom center of the socket wasn't hitting the contact point at the
bottom of the bulb. Bending that up a little with a non-conductor,
like a stick, solved the problem. If that's not the problem, see if
one of the wires isn't connected to the socket properly. It might just
be a screw that wasn't tightened enough, allowing the wire to fall
free.

If everything's ok at the bulb end, check to see where the wire to the
pole splits off from the other two. This may be in the switch box.
Again, something may have worked loose or corroded at the connection
of the wire.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

desgnr wrote:
I have 3 lights on 1 switch.
It operates a light at the front door & a light on the garage & a light
on a pole at the end of my walkway.

The light on the pole won't light, YES the bulb is good.

How can i find out what is wrong since all 3 lights are on the same
switch in the house next to my front door.

Got a voltage tester???? If not, need one; the neon bulb two-prongie
things will work for this.

Start by checking to find out if there's voltage at the socket; if so,
as another says, may be as simple as the tab at the bottom. If not, to
to the base of the socket where the wires connect to it and test between
the wires -- if no joy, go back to wherever that feed comes from to the
outside and disconnect and try again. You'll either find a loose
connection at one of those points or discover there's a break between
point A and point B at some pair of points in the chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a similar issue with my light pole in the yard. Never worked but
I never tried fix it until one day in my basement I noticed bare wires
coming through the concrete block, not attached to anything...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:18*am, Thomas wrote:
I had a similar issue with my light pole in the yard. Never worked but
I never tried fix it until one day in my basement I noticed bare wires
coming through the concrete block, not attached to anything...

As others have suggested, find out if there is voltage at the light
post. If not, then you have to figure out how the light post is
getting fed. It could be direct from the switch box, or it could be
taken from one of the other two lights or it could be tapped from the
cable between the switch and the other lights using a seperate
junction box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I have 3 lights on 1 switch.
It operates a light at the front door & a light on the garage & a light on
a pole at the end of my walkway.

The light on the pole won't light, YES the bulb is good.

How can i find out what is wrong since all 3 lights are on the same switch
in the house next to my front door.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Why are we supposed to care about the details of the computer you're using?
Do you also use that signature for all your e-mails?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:43:12 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

I have 3 lights on 1 switch.
It operates a light at the front door & a light on the garage & a light on a
pole at the end of my walkway.

The light on the pole won't light, YES the bulb is good.

How can i find out what is wrong since all 3 lights are on the same switch
in the house next to my front door.

Is there a 'daylight-off' switch in the pole which might be stuck off?