Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum wiring spray

Sometimes, I work on panel boxes with big aluminum wires coming in. I
can get Noalox. Or, Ox-Gard, which is grey paste that retards
corrosion.

Is something available in a spray can, so I can apply it to live wires
from a comfortable distance?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sometimes, I work on panel boxes with big aluminum wires coming in. I
can get Noalox. Or, Ox-Gard, which is grey paste that retards
corrosion.

Is something available in a spray can, so I can apply it to live wires
from a comfortable distance?

Won't say there isn't, but not aware of it. Ask local electrical
distributor would be my suggestion for locating it if there is.

I have to question the point though--it'll only help if it's _in_ the
connection and if you're only going to spray it on the top it'll make no
difference whatever on the points at which it would matter. On the
outside of the wire and connection it's immaterial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes, I work on panel boxes with big aluminum wires coming in. I
can get Noalox. Or, Ox-Gard, which is grey paste that retards
corrosion.

Is something available in a spray can, so I can apply it to live wires
from a comfortable distance?

*Unless you see evidence of corrosion or arcing, the only maintenance that
needs to be done is torque the connections to make sure that they are tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 21:41:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sometimes, I work on panel boxes with big aluminum wires coming in. I
can get Noalox. Or, Ox-Gard, which is grey paste that retards
corrosion.

what corrosion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 9:41*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sometimes, I work on panel boxes with big aluminum wires coming in. I
can get Noalox. Or, Ox-Gard, which is grey paste that retards
corrosion.

Is something available in a spray can, so I can apply it to live wires
from a comfortable distance?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

What sort of panel boxes ? Are they for wiring which connects to
some sort of HVAC equipment ?

If you are an electrician then go nuts and do whatever you think you
need to do... If you are not licensed as an electrician DO NOT TOUCH
any wiring that is not feeding a piece of equipment you are qualified
to repair... You should not even be touching the wiring, only looking
at
it and tracing it to see where the fault is upstream so that an
electrician
can repair the fault/defect and you can put the equipment back in
service
after that has been done... You can warn some responsible party that
you have seen something inside the panel that needs to be addressed by
an electrician but if it is not something which is powering some
equipment
you are working on then leave it alone...

Why take on the liability of having been "the last person to touch/
work
on/breathe too hard on/in/near it" if you see something that looks
abnormal
tell someone who is responsible for that panel... You are not there
to fix
every aspect of everything you find wrong, only those things which are
covered by your trade license and the work order/service request that
resulted in you being there...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Best advice I've heard in ages. Thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan" wrote in message

[...]

Aluminum Wiring options. Steve in Virginia Home Repair 14 February 3rd 07 07:01 AM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
aluminum wiring The Data Rat Home Repair 6 January 17th 04 06:00 PM
Corrosion of Aluminum wiring Fergus McMenemie UK diy 14 November 14th 03 09:58 PM
aluminum wiring Doug Miller Home Repair 8 July 5th 03 02:22 PM