Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Fix/Repair Rock Salt Burned Yellow Lawn!?

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:59:45 -0400, "
wrote:

Snow piled up deeply on the grass might do as much damage as the salt.

Not from my experience in Saranac Lake, NY. Snow melted the 3rd week
of June. Summer was on the 4th of July.

Fishing in August, you might need a flannel shirt...

The pilots landing planes had "clickers" that turned on the runway
lights.

Snow nervier hurt my lawn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My grand parents used to live in Saranac Lake. Somehow, they had grass
in the summer. If you could see the grass, for the black flies.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Snow piled up deeply on the grass might do as much damage as the
salt.

Not from my experience in Saranac Lake, NY. Snow melted the 3rd week
of June. Summer was on the 4th of July.

Fishing in August, you might need a flannel shirt...

The pilots landing planes had "clickers" that turned on the runway
lights.

Snow nervier hurt my lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Snow piled up deeply on the grass might do as much damage as the salt.

Not from my experience in Saranac Lake, NY. Snow melted the 3rd week
of June. Summer was on the 4th of July.

Fishing in August, you might need a flannel shirt...

The pilots landing planes had "clickers" that turned on the runway
lights.

Snow nervier hurt my lawn.

Sooo....if your house has never been hit by lightening, it that fact
proof that it doesn't happen to another?

Grass can be damaged by long-term or heavy snow cover. Here's a little
bit about it:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci...cap/pp950w.htm

Some suggestions have really been in the "overkill" range. Salt is
water soluble. If the soil drains well enough to grow Kentucky Blue
Grass, it very likely drains well enough to wash away salt with normal
rainfall and/or a little more watering. Overdoing the watering might
keep it too wet and damage it further. Depending on how long the
yellowing has been going on, the grass may still be surviving. I would
at least talk to the guy who did the sodding and also to the next
neighbors in hopes of keeping the gentleman from having his lawn damaged
more. Nice that the man has somebody looking out for him.

We have had our southern lawn under salt water for several days, with no
damage at all. Storm surge, hurricane in G. of Mexico. It gets watered
all the time with reclaimed water that has a little salt in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Snow piled up deeply on the grass might do as much damage as the salt.

Not from my experience in Saranac Lake, NY. Snow melted the 3rd week
of June. Summer was on the 4th of July.

Fishing in August, you might need a flannel shirt...

The pilots landing planes had "clickers" that turned on the runway
lights.

Snow nervier hurt my lawn.

Sooo....if your house has never been hit by lightening, it that fact
proof that it doesn't happen to another?

Grass can be damaged by long-term or heavy snow cover. Here's a little
bit about it:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci...cap/pp950w.htm

Nothing there about "long term or heavy snow cover". A bit about snow
mold-- and how it occurs mostly when it snows before the ground is
frozen. Ever been to Saranac Lake? I'd be willing to bet there
is no winter on record there in which the ground wasn't well frozen.
[More likely that it was still frozen in July in places.]

Some suggestions have really been in the "overkill" range. Salt is
water soluble. If the soil drains well enough to grow Kentucky Blue
Grass, it very likely drains well enough to wash away salt with normal
rainfall and/or a little more watering.

I'm with you here, though. I use abundant amounts of salt on my
sloping driveway. Never noticed any grass dying near it. Some
grasses prefer salty soil.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm over The Pond and weather conditions may differ. I'm with all those who
suggest extensive irrigation. Sodium chloride is the same the world over.
I've experienced salt burn of grass due to draining boats on lawns. Regular
application of water allowed the grass to grow back over the season.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Why do we keep talking about Saranac Lake? I wouldn't go anywhere that
gets that much snow ) Sodium chloride isn't necessarily the only
problem. Fertilizer or dog urine can burn grass, but usually only if it
is already stressed....we get thirsty if we take in too much salt
without enough water. Plants do the same....give enough water and aok.
The poor old man spent $4000 on his grass...it's a shame to add to the
problem or make a lot of unneeded work with bad advice. As I said, the
salt will most likely wash away if the soil has decent drainage.
Digging up the damaged area may be a whole lot more work than is needed.
I consider the people who laid the sod to be probably the best
resource for info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:18:40 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My grand parents used to live in Saranac Lake. Somehow, they had grass
in the summer. If you could see the grass, for the black flies.

BTDT. Bloody and stinging ears to prove it :/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Clot wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Where the heck is that?

Sodium chloride isn't necessarily the
only problem. Fertilizer or dog urine can burn grass, but usually
only if it is already stressed....we get thirsty if we take in too
much salt without enough water. Plants do the same....give enough
water and aok.

Noted, we also used to have dogs that were too generous to the lawn that
again irrigating would help to mitigate; that I think is as much to do with
sodium as an excess of N.

The poor old man spent $4000 on his grass...it's a
shame to add to the problem or make a lot of unneeded work with bad
advice.

Agreed.

As I said, the salt will most likely wash away if the soil
has decent drainage. Digging up the damaged area may be a whole lot
more work than is needed. I consider the people who laid the sod to
be probably the best resource for info.

He might be concerned that the contractors would see $$s and the kindly
neighbour might also be concerned about that.

Generous but not excessive applications of water should resolve.