Posted to alt.home.repair

Default staple gun for Romex?

anyone recommend one? Got to staple some wires that are run along
joists hidden under a whole mess of insulation, rather than pull it all
up to use a hammer I thought I'd try one of those staple guns to see if
it would work OK. Anyone recommend any one above the others, or are
they all about the same?

I'm looking for just a hand operated one, I'm not doing this
professionally, just trying to save attic time during some home
rewiring. I doubt the inspector will look up there, but I don't want to
lie to him either and tell him that I've stapled stuff that I haven't.
(original wiring was just laid over the top of the joists, but I don't
like that. Everything I'm putting in, I'm drilling through and stapling
along.)

thanks,

Nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2010 6:35 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
anyone recommend one? Got to staple some wires that are run along
joists hidden under a whole mess of insulation, rather than pull it all
up to use a hammer I thought I'd try one of those staple guns to see if
it would work OK. Anyone recommend any one above the others, or are they
all about the same?

I'm looking for just a hand operated one, I'm not doing this
professionally, just trying to save attic time during some home
rewiring. I doubt the inspector will look up there, but I don't want to
lie to him either and tell him that I've stapled stuff that I haven't.
(original wiring was just laid over the top of the joists, but I don't
like that. Everything I'm putting in, I'm drilling through and stapling
along.)

thanks,

Nate

http://www.arrowfastener.com/products/application/wire/

someone mentioned T75

http://www.newtechindustries.com/new...75_stapler.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:

... Everything I'm putting in, I'm drilling through and stapling
along.)

Absolutely, totally, unnecessary and a waste of effort...

Only stapling needed and that does any thing useful at all is that
within the required distance of boxes, etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/28/2010 07:52 PM, dpb wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

... Everything I'm putting in, I'm drilling through and stapling along.)

Absolutely, totally, unnecessary and a waste of effort...

Only stapling needed and that does any thing useful at all is that
within the required distance of boxes, etc., ...

Right, but it's still hidden under three layers if fiberglas and a foot
or so of cellulose. I can much more easily fit a staple gun in there
than I can move all the insulation out of the way to swing a hammer.

I'm replacing all the fixture boxes with fan rated boxes, rewiring
*everything,* and adding hardwired smoke detectors, so there will be...
um... something like 10-12 ceiling boxes all with several wires coming
out of them, which are technically accessable as there's no attic floor
(so I can't use the "old work" exception,) but in reality are not easily
accessable at all, so anything that makes the job easier would be
welcome. And a staple or two in the middle of the runs (it's a small
house, despite the large number of rooms/hallways/boxes, so it wouldn't
be much more than that) wouldn't be that much of an impossibility.

I'm also going to add a few receps in two of the bedrooms, but I haven't
gotten that far yet. So far I have only completely rewired one bedroom,
done the other one save for the receps, and properly wired one light in
one hallway. So I've still got about half the second floor to rewire
and haven't even started on the smokes yet. One of these days I'm going
to have to get back at it and just do it... I bought all the materials
save for the smokes but haven't got my lazy ass back up into the attic
in a while.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

... Everything I'm putting in, I'm drilling through and stapling along.)

Absolutely, totally, unnecessary and a waste of effort...

Only stapling needed and that does any thing useful at all is that
within the required distance of boxes, etc., ...

Right, but it's still hidden under three layers if fiberglas and a foot
or so of cellulose. I can much more easily fit a staple gun in there
than I can move all the insulation out of the way to swing a hammer.

Which is the only reason I can imagine for using one. I bought the
Gardner-Bender stapler they sell at the Borg, and I am *not* impressed. It
probably works better on new construction... but on the 55-year-old pine
joists in my house, it won't sink a staple deep enough to meet the Code's
requirements that the cable be "secured" to the framing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2010 5:35 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
anyone recommend one? Got to staple some wires that are run along
joists hidden under a whole mess of insulation, rather than pull it all
up to use a hammer I thought I'd try one of those staple guns to see if
it would work OK. Anyone recommend any one above the others, or are they
all about the same?

I'm looking for just a hand operated one, I'm not doing this
professionally, just trying to save attic time during some home
rewiring. I doubt the inspector will look up there, but I don't want to
lie to him either and tell him that I've stapled stuff that I haven't.
(original wiring was just laid over the top of the joists, but I don't
like that. Everything I'm putting in, I'm drilling through and stapling
along.)

thanks,

Nate

I have an Arrow T-something romex stapler. The inspector failed the
wiring in my garage because of it; he said the problem was they weren't
UL listed. I showed him the box with the UL label and that just ****ed
him off.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

... Everything I'm putting in, I'm drilling through and stapling along.)

Absolutely, totally, unnecessary and a waste of effort...

Only stapling needed and that does any thing useful at all is that
within the required distance of boxes, etc., ...

Right, but it's still hidden under three layers if fiberglas and a foot
or so of cellulose. I can much more easily fit a staple gun in there
than I can move all the insulation out of the way to swing a hammer.

Which is the only reason I can imagine for using one. I bought the
Gardner-Bender stapler they sell at the Borg, and I am *not* impressed. It
probably works better on new construction... but on the 55-year-old pine
joists in my house, it won't sink a staple deep enough to meet the Code's
requirements that the cable be "secured" to the framing.

hmm... my house is older than yours...

I still am tempted to try it just because I think that if I have to go
back and hand staple all the wire I've already pulled that it won't get
done.

A quick google seemed to indicate that both the Arrow T-72 and T-75
staplers might be what I'm seeking... anyone know what the difference
between the two might be?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I have an Arrow T-something romex stapler. The inspector failed the
wiring in my garage because of it; he said the problem was they weren't
UL listed. I showed him the box with the UL label and that just ****ed
him off.

Bob

So did you have to kill him?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2010 8:59 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I have an Arrow T-something romex stapler. The inspector failed the
wiring in my garage because of it; he said the problem was they weren't
UL listed. I showed him the box with the UL label and that just ****ed
him off.

Bob

So did you have to kill him?

All the wiring was exposed and it wasn't that many staples, so I pulled
them and replaced with plastic ones. (it was easier than killing him --
or asking for a ruling from a supervisor.)

If I would have been smart, I would have only had the breaker box, one
light, one receptacle, and the welder circuit inspected. Then extended
everything and added the new circuits after he left.

Bob

Pneumatic Staple Gun Virgle Woodworking 9 June 4th 08 07:38 PM
Staple Gun for upholstery John UK diy 6 February 4th 08 11:09 PM
Staple sizes: what do they mean? Christopher Tidy Metalworking 1 October 3rd 07 11:39 PM
Staple gun SirBenjamin UK diy 0 December 11th 06 03:00 PM
Who makes a 3+" staple gun? Fred Woodworking 1 September 12th 05 03:03 AM