Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Grommet" for granite counter top hole

I want to drill a hole in my granite island counter to fit a
electrical plug for a tv permanently left on the island. I know how
to do that, but I want one of those stainless steel (preferably
brushed) rings to finish out the top nicely. It looks like a grommet
basically and you shove it in the hole and it sits almost flush with
the counter top and looks better than a plain hole. The problem is I
don't know what you would call that and searching hasn't turned up
anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 12:42*pm, Mike C wrote:
I want to drill a hole in my granite island counter to fit a
electrical plug for a tv permanently left on the island. *

I think you may one day come to regret drilling a hole in a granite
counter for a TV cord.

They make lightweight TVs that could could mount on just about any
wall or even hang from the ceiling if you must have a TV in the
kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 27, 3:36*pm, mike wrote:

snip

I think you may one day come to regret drilling a hole in a granite
counter for a TV cord.

snip

Probably not important. The OP is working on a 'island', another
current fashion that will be dated in a few years. Sooner or later,
SWMBO will get tired of walking around the obstruction and issue an
ultimatum to 'get rid of that ugly thing' and the newest fad will make
it moot. So go ahead and cut it up any way you want, OP.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 2:42*pm, Mike C wrote:
I want to drill a hole in my granite island counter to fit a
electrical plug for a tv permanently left on the island. *I know how
to do that, but I want one of those stainless steel (preferably
brushed) rings to finish out the top nicely. *It looks like a grommet
basically and you shove it in the hole and it sits almost flush with
the counter top and looks better than a plain hole. The problem is I
don't know what you would call that and searching hasn't turned up
anything.

Do you mean you want to install an outlet to power the tv, or make a
hole to pass the power cord thru to an outlet below the counterr-top???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 May 2010 19:36:28 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On May 27, 3:36*pm, mike wrote:

snip

I think you may one day come to regret drilling a hole in a granite
counter for a TV cord.

snip

Probably not important. The OP is working on a 'island', another
current fashion that will be dated in a few years. Sooner or later,
SWMBO will get tired of walking around the obstruction and issue an
ultimatum to 'get rid of that ugly thing' and the newest fad will make
it moot. So go ahead and cut it up any way you want, OP.

Joe

You are kidding, right? Those islands are very nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 9:46*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2010 19:36:49 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
On May 27, 2:42*pm, Mike C wrote:
I want to drill a hole in my granite island counter to fit a
electrical plug for a tv permanently left on the island. *I know how
to do that, but I want one of those stainless steel (preferably
brushed) rings to finish out the top nicely. *It looks like a grommet
basically and you shove it in the hole and it sits almost flush with
the counter top and looks better than a plain hole. The problem is I
don't know what you would call that and searching hasn't turned up
anything.

Do you mean you want to install an outlet to power the tv, or make a
hole to pass the power cord thru to an outlet below the counterr-top???

Pretty hard to make a countertop receptacle meet code.

That's why I asked the question, the OP didn't specify any particular
size hole, AC plugs on the ends of power cords come in a number of
sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

On Thu, 27 May 2010 19:36:28 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On May 27, 3:36*pm, mike wrote:

snip

I think you may one day come to regret drilling a hole in a granite
counter for a TV cord.

snip

Probably not important. The OP is working on a 'island', another
current fashion that will be dated in a few years. Sooner or later,
SWMBO will get tired of walking around the obstruction and issue an
ultimatum to 'get rid of that ugly thing' and the newest fad will make
it moot. So go ahead and cut it up any way you want, OP.

Joe

You are kidding, right? Those islands are very nice.

Yeah, I'm guessing this anti-island sentiment that's cropped up recently
is due to some people putting islands in kitchens that were too small
for them. An island is a terrific feature in a large kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mike C wrote:

I want to drill a hole in my granite island counter to fit a
electrical plug for a tv permanently left on the island. I know how
to do that, but I want one of those stainless steel (preferably
brushed) rings to finish out the top nicely. It looks like a grommet
basically and you shove it in the hole and it sits almost flush with
the counter top and looks better than a plain hole. The problem is I
don't know what you would call that and searching hasn't turned up
anything.

Generically I call them trim rings. In plumbing they're called
escutcheons. You could add "brushed stainless" to one of those terms for
google.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike C wrote the following:
I want to drill a hole in my granite island counter to fit a
electrical plug for a tv permanently left on the island. I know how
to do that, but I want one of those stainless steel (preferably
brushed) rings to finish out the top nicely. It looks like a grommet
basically and you shove it in the hole and it sits almost flush with
the counter top and looks better than a plain hole. The problem is I
don't know what you would call that and searching hasn't turned up
anything.

I would look for a better place to put a permanent outlet, rather than a
granite top, like on the side of the island. Spills might get into the
top outlet, especially a catastrophic spill, like dropping a pot of
water or tomato sauce.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 9:36*pm, Joe wrote:
On May 27, 3:36*pm, mike wrote:

snip
I think you may one day come to regret drilling a hole in a granite
counter for a TV cord.
snip

Probably not important. The OP is working on a 'island', another
current fashion that will be dated in a few years. Sooner or later,
SWMBO will get tired of walking around the obstruction and issue an
ultimatum to 'get rid of that ugly thing' and the newest fad will make
it moot. So go ahead and cut it up any way you want, OP.

If you're foolish enough to put an island in an already too small
kitchen, in the working triangle, maybe. Other than that, they're a
great place to prepare food and with a granite top _the_ place to
prepare baked goods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Mike C wrote the following:
[...]

My guess is that the OP wants to run the power cord from the TV
through the hole, making the electrical connection below- such to
a power strip.

Nonny

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

On most days,
it's just not worth
the effort of chewing
through the restraints..

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have two, 3" holes in a granite top to accommodate the wife's
computer, cell phone charger, USB expander, telephone answering
machine, a Dustbuster wall wart etc. The trim rings for the holes
were bought at Office Depot or OfficeMax and are quite common. I
don't know if they are offered in metal: ours are black ABS-type
plastic.

FWIW, this is a good way to control cords, wall warts and plugs.
The counter top in question is for a drop-down secretary desk in
the kitchen. Below the top are two drawers. When we had the
granite tops installed in our kitchen, I put a duplex recepticle
BELOW the granite top, along with a Cat5 and telephone jack. Most
drawers are shorter than the depth of the counter top and if they
aren't they can be cut down. The goal is to have them about 5" or
so shorter than the depth of the cabinet.

Then, a 6-plug power strip behind each drawer gives you plenty of
plugs and space to install the "office" type of stuff, leaving a
much cleaner looking counter or desk top above, where it's
visible.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 8:50*am, willshak wrote:
Mike C wrote the following:

I want todrilla hole in mygraniteislandcounterto fit a
electrical plug for a tv permanently left on the island. *I know how
to do that, but I want one of those stainless steel (preferably
brushed) rings to finish out the top nicely. *It looks like agrommet
basically and you shove it in the hole and it sits almost flush with
thecountertop and looks better than a plain hole. The problem is I
don't know what you would call that and searching hasn't turned up
anything.

I would look for a better place to put a permanent outlet, rather than agranitetop, like on the side of the island. Spills might get into the
top outlet, especially a catastrophic spill, like dropping a pot of
water or tomato sauce.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NYx4,
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

The hole is for electrical/video cords for a computer monitor. It
will be used as a TV also, but as a computer with a wireless keyboard/
mouse. The island is 7x4 so plenty of room and doubt a 1.5" whole will
be a big regret. The outlet is already in the cabinet as there is a
microwave in the cabinet already.

There is a 11" overhang on 3 sides and drawers at the top of the 4th
side, so draping a cord is ugly and not practical.