Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a granite counter top be "notched"?

I am installing a counter top along a wall with two windows.

One window is wide 8' wide and then a section of exterior wall (10" wide
with a vent stack inside for the sink and dishwasher), then to it's right
another window 3' wide.

I would like the counter top to extend outside pass the exterior wall by
about 10" so the 8' window is a pass through window (slider window). The
smaller window to the right will be just a picture window. I am trying to
determine do I size the smaller window bottom to be higher than the counter
top height so it's just a regular window?

or do I size it such that the large window is a pass through and the smaller
window will have the counter top as the "sill" but not pass through?

Can they cut a granite that starts with a notch, then 12" over protudes 10"
for eight feet, then a notch for 10" then protrudes for only 4" for another
36", then another notch for 8"? This is something typically done or would
be unusual?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 28, 6:41 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

Every time you turn a stone cutting machine on or off and change
settings it costs you money. If you are seriously considering
something so complicated, better discuss it with the fabricator and
avoid a major sticker shock. The granite shop may have some better
ideas for doing what you want, so make a rough sketch and talk to them
about it.
Laminates are a whole different story for creative fabrications, as
can be noticed in any upscale restaurant or club. The machines for
working these materials and the broad range of panels and adhesives
can lead to far more artisitic forms and prices a fraction of stone.
Choose within your budget and good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I would like the counter top to extend outside pass the exterior wall by
about 10" so the 8' window is a pass through window (slider window). The
smaller window to the right will be just a picture window. I am trying to
determine do I size the smaller window bottom to be higher than the
counter top height so it's just a regular window?

or do I size it such that the large window is a pass through and the
smaller window will have the counter top as the "sill" but not pass
through?

If I'm reading this right, you want the counter top to extend out from the
kitchen to an outside area, such as a deck? While the idea sounds
intriguing, it may also offer some construction headaches, such as sealing
the windows properly. I'd consider making the smaller window the pass
through if that is at all practical. The countertop sounds expensive with
all those cuts, but a pro may have other ideas. I'd certainly talk to one
or two to see if they are either up to the challenge or laugh you out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I just had very complicated granite tops made by an outfit that had a
CNC water cutting robot. And I got to see them cut it. The damn
thing could literally cut ANY shape and with no dust, just high
pressure water. If you could find someplace with a computer
controlled water cutter they probably wont even charge for the complex
cuts, but everyone charges to the nearest full rectangle, IOW you pay
for all the waste. The cutting head not only moved on x/y axis but
could also angle the jet so deep bevels, under-cut bevels etc could be
done just as easily as a straight line. I was not upcharged for any
of my detailed cuts, I just paid for the total square footage
including waste. The only thing the water jet couldnt do was the ogee
edge, but a different router table did that, also with the slab
submerged in water so no dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:

I just had very complicated granite tops made by an outfit that had a
CNC water cutting robot. And I got to see them cut it. The damn
thing could literally cut ANY shape and with no dust, just high
pressure water. If you could find someplace with a computer
controlled water cutter they probably wont even charge for the complex
cuts, but everyone charges to the nearest full rectangle, IOW you pay
for all the waste. The cutting head not only moved on x/y axis but
could also angle the jet so deep bevels, under-cut bevels etc could be
done just as easily as a straight line. I was not upcharged for any
of my detailed cuts, I just paid for the total square footage
including waste. The only thing the water jet couldnt do was the ogee
edge, but a different router table did that, also with the slab
submerged in water so no dust.

Why would someone who has a CNC cutting machine not charge for complex
cuts? They did spend a few bucks for the machine and someone has to know
how to program the work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
done just as easily as a straight line. I was not upcharged for any
of my detailed cuts, I just paid for the total square footage
including waste.

Why would someone who has a CNC cutting machine not charge for complex
cuts? They did spend a few bucks for the machine and someone has to know
how to program the work.

It is no more time on the water jet cutter to do complex versus straight
once it is programmed. They charge for machine time and probably have
enough built into the price for some programming. It is amazingly simple
once you know how and countertops are simple repetitive cutting.

These guys do similar work in stone http://newworldstoneworks.com/ but the
machine is the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 9:37 am, George wrote:
RickH wrote:

[...]

how to program the work.- Hide quoted text -

The designer measured, went back to his office; entered the drawings
into a CAD program, a few days later he brought the cad drawing back
to my house to re-verify all the measurements. (he measured within
1/16 inch tolerance no wiggle room). I signed off on the job, when
they scheduled my job I asked if I could see them cut it. It was so
simple, the designer downloaded the drawing to the machine from his
CAD program, the operator selected and positioned the starting 0,0
coordinate over the slab and pushed a button, the robot did the rest.

So they have relatively the same labor costs for complex or simple
designs, thats how they can charge the same. The machine pays for
itself in volume as they can process more granite than a manual labor
shop, and not have to pay the health insurance costs for siliconosis
poisoning due to dust.

The installers came with the slabs and they slid right in tight.