Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central Air not working

Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Unused Classified" wrote in message
Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

Yes....I have central air and if you start up your unit and drop the
thermostat drastically it puts the air conditioner into "overdrive" and the
radiator that the air flows through basically plugs with frost....best thing
you can do is shut off your AC unit and allow to thaw for 4-6 hrs and then
fire back up but SLOWLY drop the temp over a 24 hr period... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 8:39*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
[...]

Do you know anything about the furnace blower, can you hear it running
if you go next to the furnace? Is any air, cold or not, coming out of
the registers? If not, then the furnace blower is not running, or the
air filter is clogged, or the A-coil inside the furnace is frozen over
as the previous poster suggested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

Hi,
Did do any pre-season check like replacing filter, cleaning outside
unit, etc. Like said maybe coil got frozen up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 6:17*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. *Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

Turn it off immediately. It is NOT good to have the condenser on
without the air handler. The air handler (indoor blower fan) is either
not on which means someone screwed-up the installation or it is on but
for some reason the air is not circulating such as a blocked
evaporator. In either case turn it off before the compressor is
damaged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You didn't really supply enough information for us to have any idea.
You can research AC repair, online. However, it sounds like time to
call a HVAC repair company.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Unused Classified" wrote in message
Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:17:37 -0700 (PDT), Unused Classified
wrote:

Hello,

You leave some holes in your story.

I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just

Cold air is not coming out. What about warm air?

slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.

The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not

The outside fan is spinning? Or the inside fan?

You probably mean the outside. What about the inside fan. Does the
furnace/AC cabinet vibrate at all, or make any noise? What?

going inside, where is it going?

Are you a troll? The air never goes inside. The liquid in the
pipe does.

Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You have to be kidding, "if you lower the thermostat dramaticly it
puts it in overdrive" not so it just on or off. Freezing the coil,
[ its not a radiator] is one of several things, low freon or low air
flow. "4-6 hrs wait" no you dont even know what the issue is, just
look at the coil to SEE if its frozen, it could be many things. Learn
a bit about ACs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 8:17*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. *Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

Is the blower running on the furnace or air handler, take a look see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote:
Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working.
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

You're over your head dude, call a service guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
[...]

There is no "overdrive" on home A/C units.

Ice on the evaporator coils almost always indicates LOW Freon.

No cold air and no ice almost always indicates NO Freon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

As tradesman...I used "overdrive " as a figure of speech....and also
coil, rad, potato tomato... Hadn't realized I was talking to an
idiot....sorry...will get the terminology right for those that have there
noses pressed to the owners manual... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 8:30*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

noses pressed to the owners manual... Jim- Hide quoted text -

You calling me an idiot? Look in the mirror. Ok mr know it all "Bozo
Jim AC Pro "Tradesman"", lets see if you can possibly expain just how
my single speed AC goes into overdive, You cant can you, because it
doesnt. This is "are you smarter than a 4th grader" stuff, or "
here`s your sign" or a " caveman can do it" are you really that dumb.
And Ive never read an AC manual, this is simple logic, Bozo Jim the
"tradesman".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

Jim:

The OP obviously didn't know much, and your choice of words therefore
was VERY POOR. You should have said that it would be turned on for a
long period of time and that the evaporator coil could freeze solid
and block the air flow. Ransley was right, altho his choice of words
was over the top, as he frequently does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

was over the top, as he frequently does.- Hide quoted text -

Over the top? well maybe but he was rude and wrong so Im just
returning the favor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

I don't argue with idiots....they just bring you down to there level and
beat you with experience....so go just go away idiot... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

beat you with experience....so go just go away idiot... Jim- Hide quoted text -

You mean their? level
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You still dont get the basics, a regular AC system doesnt do overdrive
or anything else but On and Off, the idiot it you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since it says "hide quoted text" aparently he's posting from Google
Groups?

You're right about the spelling correction.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On May 28, 8:08 pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

I don't argue with idiots....they just bring you down to there level
and
beat you with experience....so go just go away idiot... Jim- Hide
quoted text -

You mean their? level

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote

You still dont get the basics, a regular AC system doesnt do overdrive
or anything else but On and Off, the idiot it you.

Not even if you set the thermostat really really low? ; )

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

You don't know how to READ! I said it was "a figure of speech"...geesze
are you ever THICK in the head!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

Bull! Every AC system has overdrive. You just have to know what you're
doing. I'm a tradesman, I can show any homemoaner up. Take it from me, I'm
the best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

the best.- Hide quoted text -

Your the best at being high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

I can tune any AC to run 10,000 rpm. .... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ransley" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah show made up quoted text as "Jim"...I didn't say that you
fool...check the properties of the quoted text you freak!...It was you

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ransley" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

Find somebody else to fi=uck with you twit... your in my
killfile.........so again...I don't ague with idiots.....Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Find somebody else to fi=uck with you twit... your in my
killfile.........so again...I don't ague with idiots.....Jim

Speaking of killfiles... bye, Jim. It's obvious that you don't have anything
useful to contribute.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Jim"
nospam@wherever wrote:

Find somebody else to fi=uck with you twit... your in my
killfile.........so again...I don't ague with idiots.....Jim

Speaking of killfiles... bye, Jim. It's obvious that you don't have
anything
useful to contribute.

Hello Doug... there is stuff being put on the NG using my name...please
check the properties of the message and you will see they come from
different IP adresses...someone is screwing with me for reasons unknown...
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 28, 8:08 pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

You still dont get the basics, a regular AC system doesnt do overdrive
or anything else but On and Off, the idiot it you.

Well if the A/C is integrated with the furnace, typically it has a two speed
blower. While technically not "overdrive", some folks might think of it
that way.

Also the term radiator is kind of a generic one for a heat exchanger. Both
the condenser and the evaporator are heat exchangers, and if they are in a
heat pump, depending if the unit is in heating or cooling mode both of the
heat exchangers could be "radiators".

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:15*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On May 28, 8:08 pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

You still dont get the basics, a regular AC system doesnt do overdrive
or anything else but On and Off, the idiot it you.

Well if the A/C is integrated with the furnace, typically it has a two speed
blower. *While technically not "overdrive", some folks might think of it
that way.

Also the term radiator is kind of a generic one for a heat exchanger. *Both
the condenser and the evaporator are heat exchangers, and if they are in a
heat pump, depending if the unit is in heating or cooling mode both of the
heat exchangers could be "radiators".

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

a 2 speed furnace has a 2 stage gas valve which doesnt do anything for
a regular single speed condensor, for the AC the blower is set to high
as default with a 2 stage furnace. ACs are set up for maximum cooling,
Jim is just trollin for fun. You would risk freeze up of the coil if
you tried to set up a 2 stage blower on a single stage condensor, I
dont think any tech would do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 28, 8:08 pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

You still dont get the basics, a regular AC system doesnt do overdrive
or anything else but On and Off, the idiot it you.

Well if the A/C is integrated with the furnace, typically it has a two
speed
blower. While technically not "overdrive", some folks might think of it
that way.

Sometimes the two speed fan is used at a slow speed for heat and a higher
speed for the AC.
Still not 'overdrive'. They are just more efficient that way.

Some newer systems have a fan that has several speeds and ramp up slow when
they come on. Has to do with getting the most SEER rating for the system.