Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Central Air not working

On May 28, 8:47*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 27, 8:30*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message

On May 26, 8:39 pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

"Unused Classified" wrote in message

Hello,
I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working..
Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just
slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked
into the intakes inside the house.
The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not
going inside, where is it going?
Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before?
Thanks

Yes....I have central air and if you start up your unit and drop the
thermostat drastically it puts the air conditioner into "overdrive" and
the
radiator that the air flows through basically plugs with frost....best
thing
you can do is shut off your AC unit and allow to thaw for 4-6 hrs and then
fire back up but SLOWLY drop the temp over a 24 hr period... Jim

You have to be kidding, "if you lower the thermostat dramaticly it
puts it in overdrive" *not so it just on or off. Freezing the coil,
[ its not a radiator] is one of several things, low freon or low air
flow. "4-6 hrs wait" no you dont even know what the issue is, just
look at the coil to SEE if its frozen, it could be many things. Learn
a bit about ACs

* *As tradesman...I used "overdrive " as a figure of speech....and also
coil, rad, potato tomato... Hadn't realized I was talking to an
idiot....sorry...will get the terminology right for those that have there
noses pressed to the owners manual... Jim- Hide quoted text -

Jim:

The OP obviously didn't know much, and your choice of words therefore
was VERY POOR. *You should have said that it would be turned on for a
long period of time and that the evaporator coil could freeze solid
and block the air flow. * Ransley was right, altho his choice of words
was over the top, as he frequently does.- Hide quoted text -

Over the top? well maybe but he was rude and wrong so Im just
returning the favor.