Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX QUESTION

On May 20, 9:18*pm, "Robert Olin" wrote:
If I use a manifold system, can I eliminate individual shut off valves, like
under the sink or at the toilet? *Is the code man ok with that?

What if I use the manifold for an area like one *bathroom?

Let say I have a typical bathroom on one manifold. *If the pex is 1/2" I
assume that is adequate for the toilet and sink, but I'm wondering if a tub
or shower should have their own dedicated hot and cold back to the manifold?

Thanks,
Bob

--
Robert Olin
Bob's Water & Septic LLC

I would suggest you search this ng for threads on PEX. Many of your
questions have been answered.

I've done a couple pex whole house re-pipes.
I even thought about eliminating "local shutoffs" (aka angle stops).
I decided to use angle stops with a manifold system and I'm very glad
I did, the convenience is worth it.

Depending on the house layout, a single manifold could serve for the
whole house.

Even with local manifolds, I would recommend shutoffs.

BTW if oyu choose to use manifolds, they get used in paired sets; hot
& cold.
So a house needs a hot manifold & a cold manifold. Same with local
manifolds

1/2" PEX is fine for a tub or shower, even if the runs are ~30 to 40
ft.

visit

http://www.uponorpro.com/Technical-Support/Manuals.aspx

take a look at the plumbing manuals, good stuff

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 22:48:29 -0700 (PDT), DD_BobK
wrote:

BTW if oyu choose to use manifolds, they get used in paired sets; hot
& cold.
So a house needs a hot manifold & a cold manifold. Same with local
manifolds

I haven't seen "paired sets". My manifold is a single unit. Hot on the
left and cold on the right. I guess if is molded fiberglass.

I've seen some really nice manifolds made of copper with brass ball
valves (good plumber) at the manifold. They were cobbled together on
site for near 5K s.f. homes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

BTW *if oyu choose to use manifolds, they get used in paired sets; hot
& cold.
So a house needs a hot manifold & a cold manifold. *Same with local
manifolds

I haven't seen "paired sets". My manifold is a single unit. Hot on the
left and cold on the right. I guess if is molded fiberglass.

I've seen some really nice manifolds made of copper with brass ball
valves (good plumber) at the manifold. They were cobbled together on
site for near 5K s.f. homes.

What I meant by "paired sets", I meant two separate copper manifolds.
One for hot, one for cold.

I totally forgot about the plastic "combo" manifolds.

I know the copper manifolds with the built in ball valves are a lot
more expensive (about $150 more for two copper manifolds vs the
manibloc)
but the copper manifolds are much better material. I recommend using
the copper ones.

cheers
Bob