Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

We're going to be putting a second story over our existing living,
which will become our master bedroom. The new space will be a perfect
rectangle, 23'x18'. This space is for the bedroom and closet. We're
going to put in a walk-in closet, but are debating how big it needs to
be. In our current bedroom we have a walk-in that's 8'x10', and it's
much more space than we need. We keep suitcases and sports gear in
there and it's nowhere near full.We are both VERY low-maintenance, and
DH actually has more hanging clothing than I do.
I'm planning a closet with a center door, two hanging racks (one down
each side), with some shelving above the racks and floor-to-ceiling
shelves/storage on the far wall across from the door between the
racks.
The architect is telling me that a walk-in "should" be "at least"
10'x12' or we "won't be able to sell the house". Since we plan to be
carried out of here feet first, we couldn't care less about resale.
Plus, I refuse to design new construction solely for "perceived"
resale value when I plan to live here for at least 35 more years.
I don't care what the architect says, I neither want nor need a closet
that big especially since we will still have the current master closet
for storage when that room becomes the guest room, plus the tiny
closets in the other two bedrooms (office and exercise room).
So...those of you with walk-in closets - how big are they and do you
wish your closet was bigger or smaller?

First, the basics...

Hanging clothes need at least 2' of depth, and the walkway should be 3'
wide to avoid feeling cramped. So, minimum width would be 5' if you have
hanging clothes on one side, or 7' if you have hanging clothes on both
sides. The length can be whatever you have space for (as small as 2' or as
long as the house).

We designed and built our own house, and our master "suite" is roughly
23'x16', about the same as your proposed space. Our suite includes a
12'x15' bedroom, a 10'x10' master bath, and our 5'x10' master closet
(inside room dimensions). We installed 3' doors in case we ever need to use
a wheelchair, and the closet door opens into the bedroom, so it doesn't
take space away from the closet.

We have have hanging rods on the LEFT side of the closet only. The first
third of the 10' length has double hanging rods (one above the other) for
my wife's shirts, skirts, and pants. The middle third has a higher single
rod for hanging longer items like dresses, robes, etc. And the last third
is the double hanging rods for my shirts and pants. There is a shelf above
the middle section where we keep extra pillows and whatnot.

I built a wall mounted shelf (12" deep, and about 6' high) at the back end
of the closet where we store shoes, hats, boxes of old cards/letters, etc.
It's mounted high enough off the floor that we can slide our laundry basket
under the shelf.

We have a small niche on the RIGHT side of our closet (about 4' wide x 16"
deep that bumps into the bathroom area), where I built a set of 12 built-in
drawers. That's where we keep our socks, underwear, lingerie, shorts,
gloves, sheets for the bed, etc. My wife keeps her jewelry boxes and other
do-dads on top of the built-in dresser.

The rest of the RIGHT side of our closet has hooks for belts and whatnot,
and a full height mirror.

While the McMansion folks would probably find it unacceptable, we are more
than happy with our "little" 5'x10' closet. We have plenty of room for
clothes, and my wife uses it as her changing room since there's plenty of
room to move around. We've lived here over five years and have never filled
up the closet rods.

I would be happy to send you some pictures if you want. Just email me from
the link on my web site at www.mountain-software.com.

Take care,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message

I would be happy to send you some pictures if you want. Just email me from
the link on my web site at www.mountain-software.com.

Just did, thanks!