Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

On May 18, 7:48*pm, "h" wrote:
We're going to be putting a second story over our existing living, which
will become our master bedroom. The new space will be a perfect rectangle,
23'x18'. This space is for the bedroom and closet. We're going to put in a
walk-in closet, but are debating how big it needs to be. In our current
bedroom we have a walk-in that's 8'x10', and it's much more space than we
need. We keep suitcases and sports gear in there and it's nowhere near
full.We are both VERY low-maintenance, and DH actually has more hanging
clothing than I do.

I'm planning a closet with a center door, two hanging racks (one down each
side), with some shelving above the racks and floor-to-ceiling
shelves/storage on the far wall across from the door between the racks.

The architect is telling me that a walk-in "should" be "at least" 10'x12' or
we "won't be able to sell the house". Since we plan to be carried out of
here feet first, we couldn't care less about resale. Plus, I refuse to
design new construction solely for "perceived" resale value when I plan to
live here for at least 35 more years.

I don't care what the architect says, I neither want nor need a closet that
big especially since we will still have the current master closet for
storage when that room becomes the guest room, plus the tiny closets in the
other two bedrooms (office and exercise room).

So...those of you with walk-in closets - how big are they and do you wish
your closet was bigger or smaller?

When we added a second story onto our house some years back it was a
bit larger with a Master Bedroom, Master Batch, Setting/TV area and my
homve Office all included. The walking master closet was 14' wide and
14' long. The builders thought it was another bedroom since it was
almost as large. The layout was designed for my wife with me as an
afterthought. The entrance was sliding mirrored doors wide enough for
both sides to be open at the same time. My wife had one side and the
entire back while I was allowed to use the other side with some space
for suitcases and other stored items. Down the middle of the closet
was a built in cabinet four feed wide, eight feet long, and eight feet
high. Cieling in closet was 10 feet. The upper clothes racks were
high with a motorized canteleaver to bring them down for access. The
lower racks were mixed full length and half racks. I put in a seat
and full length mirror at the back for my wife who preferred it for
most of her use. (In spite of having full length mirror on doors.)
The final touch was a huge shoe rack on one side at the back that hid
a jewlery safe. I know, it was a huge overkill but my wife loved it.
Now about that master bath....
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote:

[...]

Yes, yes...keep going... about that master bath...

But before we get off the closet/bedroom thing:

Where does your wife put on her make up? Seated or standing?
Illuminated mirror? Provision of water? Presuming she does it at a
table or desk. How big? what sort of surface (risk of spilling
alcohol, acetone etc)? General lighting: change in color temperature
for different scenarios (you match the make up to the destination
(beach or party etc) and the lighting has to be compatible

Where does she blow dry her hair?

Where do you shave?

If you answer "in the bathroom" to any of the above you're wasting a
very expensive and not too pleasant (smells, moisture) room for
something that could be done much more conveniently in your massive
closet (with some rearrangement).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 11:10*pm, wrote:

Where do you shave?

If you answer "in the bathroom" to any of the above you're wasting a
very expensive and not too pleasant (smells, moisture) room for
something that could be done much more conveniently in your massive
closet (with some rearrangement).

Ok, I'm not the OP, but...

Huh? My husband shaves IN the shower, because he likes it. What
kind of shaving can be done in the absence of water? Oh, all right,
using an electric razor, obviously, but not everyone uses one.

I shave in the shower, too.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On May 19, 11:10 pm, wrote:

Where do you shave?

If you answer "in the bathroom" to any of the above you're wasting a
very expensive and not too pleasant (smells, moisture) room for
something that could be done much more conveniently in your massive
closet (with some rearrangement).

Ok, I'm not the OP, but...

Huh? My husband shaves IN the shower, because he likes it. What
kind of shaving can be done in the absence of water? Oh, all right,
using an electric razor, obviously, but not everyone uses one.

I shave in the shower, too.

I'm with you. DH shaves over the bathroom sink and I shave in the shower.
Even with an electric razor, aren't bits of hair and skin dropping all over?
Gross. Just what I want on my closet floor. We cut each other's hair (blunt
cut, just below the waist, every 8 weeks) in the bathroom, too. Like I said,
we're both very low maintenance.