Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1st time using a miter saw.

I want to cut miters on some baseboards.
Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay them
down & tilt the saw blade ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I want to cut miters on some baseboards.
Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay them
down & tilt the saw blade ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

I think you will find it easier and more accurate to cut them standing up.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I want to cut miters on some baseboards.
Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay
them down & tilt the saw blade ?

Well, you CAN'T cut them standing up if they are more than about 4" tall.

If they have any kind of sculpturing on the baseboards, you should cut them
with a coping saw anyway. Bear in mind, also, that corners are seldom
exactly 90 degrees. Use an angle finder to get the exact measurement. Search
the web for the technique. Here's one:
http://home-interiors.suite101.com/a...all_baseboards

Also, floors are seldom level. When you place the baseboard, you'll probably
see gaps between it and the floor.

Use a school compass to set the widest gap, then with that set, draw a line
on the baseboard the entire length. Remove any wood between the line and the
edge of the board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:43:56 -0400, desgnr wrote:
I want to cut miters on some baseboards.
Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay them
down & tilt the saw blade ?

you should probably rtfm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 12:43�pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I want to cut miters on some baseboards.
Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay them
down & tilt the saw blade ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

You can buy a "U" shaped gadget (mitre guage) with 45deg slots for the
saw if you aren't too handy. If you are using a hand saw, put the
wood on edge in the vice. Make sure the hidden side of the mitre is
away from you. If it is an external corner make the angle more then
45deg, ie so there will be a gap on the unseen side. (Fits better)
You should not mitre internal angles, they never look right. The
correct way is to but up one board right into the corner and cut the
adjacent board to fit the contour of the board already fitted. It
sounds stupid but it works and gives the best job. Commence the work
in a corner, not adacent to a door. That way it's easier to trim the
final board to a good fit by the door. If you make hash of it, don't
worry, just stuff in loads of filler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 12:49*pm, harry wrote:
[...]

Um, he has a (compound) miter saw. He's asking in which plane to make
the miter, vertical or horizontal. Either can be done. I would vote
for vertical if the board fits in the saw, as ColbyT has suggested.
It's much easier this way and more accurate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I want to cut miters on some baseboards.
Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay them
down & tilt the saw blade ?

Either way. I usually prefer not to tilt the blade, easier and maybe
safer.