Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default 1st time using a miter saw.

On May 18, 12:49*pm, harry wrote:
On May 18, 12:43 pm, "desgnr" wrote:

I want to cut miters on some baseboards.
Should i cut the miters with the board standing up, OR should i lay them
down & tilt the saw blade ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

You can buy a "U" shaped gadget (mitre guage) with 45deg slots for the
saw if you aren't too handy. *If you are using a hand saw, put the
wood on *edge in the vice. Make sure the hidden side of the mitre is
away from you. *If it is an external corner make the angle more then
45deg, ie so there will be a gap on the unseen side. (Fits better)
You should not mitre internal angles, they never look right. The
correct way is to but up one board right into the corner and cut the
adjacent board to fit the contour of the board already fitted. *It
sounds stupid but it works and gives the best job. Commence the work
in a corner, not adacent to a door. That way it's easier to trim the
final board to a good fit by the door. If you make hash of it, don't
worry, just stuff in loads of filler.

Um, he has a (compound) miter saw. He's asking in which plane to make
the miter, vertical or horizontal. Either can be done. I would vote
for vertical if the board fits in the saw, as ColbyT has suggested.
It's much easier this way and more accurate.