Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Possible Dishwasher Problem with Hardwood Floor

As mentioned in another thread, I'm in the process of putting down 3/4
T&G in a few interconnected rooms/hall. I'm not in the kitchen yet but I
knew up front the dishwasher clearance may be a strong possible issue.
The combination of the kitchen had new vinyl many years ago where
underlayment was used, as it should have, and now adding 3/4" more. The
old underlayment does not go under the DW. Stops at the kickplate.

I did some quick visual after removing the kickplate and, as suspected,
it looks grim. Very little clearance between the stone counter and top of
DW. The DW foot rails don't look like they will make it once the hardwood
is in unless it can be tilted up some once everything is loose. Plan is
to put down a scrap strip of flooring, loosen up the DW and see what
happens.

To stir up the pot some more, the 3/4 will be laid on ends to the
kickplate.

If this does indeed turn out to be an issue, I'm looking for ideas on
what has been done in similar situations. The only thing I can figure is
to have a small depth section the width of the DW that can be removed
with some unorthodox improvising of removing the bottom of the grooves on
the left and right of the section. The section could be carefully screwed
from the basement fortunately...I think that's fortunate anyway.

I have no other experience with this type of problem so the only other
thing I can come up with is some type of inlay that is lower than 3/4.

Just looking ahead so I know what my options are if necessary.

Thanks,
Red...